Greetings
to one and all. We've got some exciting stuff going on today! Let's get
right down to it, shall we? Topics to be discussed: Something I
learned from the presidential debates, an easy way to tell which
neighbors you should avoid, my under-appreciated skill set, the stake
volleyball conundrum, and upcoming plans for the fabled Brothers
Christensen. BUT, most importantly, we'll be discussing my triumphant
return to the throne as the King of College Radio as I help guest host
my sister's show in Ephraim tonight. Oh baby. I'm excited. On we go.
I
don't know much about politics, but I actually did learn something this
election season: people that get really into politics scare me.
I'm
not a big fan of
Halloween, but we'll get more into that next week, I guess. As I was
driving
home from work yesterday, I noticed a lot of families in my
neighborhood out putting up decorations in their yards. You know what,
I'm not really into that stuff for a couple reasons: First, it's too
consuming of my money and time. Second, the wind was blowing like a
banshee yesterday. And third, I don't worship the devil. So... Yeah.
Stay away from these guys...
Tonight
I'll be returning to the Motherland down in Ephraim
to reclaim my rightful place as King of College Radio. Yes, it's true -
As soon as I get off work, I'm headed down to Snow College to guest
star on my sister's radio show, which, ironically, is about dating
advice. Believe it
or not, it's not the first time I've guest starred on a dating show.
I've actually been on a couple shows about relationship advice. I
suppose I have a somewhat unique perspective about that crazy little
thing called "love," so it
should be a fun time. I started off as an on-air personality back in
the fall of 2005. As a radio rookie, I earned my own "specialty show"
called "'City Council' w/ A-Town," which turned out to be a breakout hit
that semester. At the end of the calendar year, I left school to serve
an LDS mission where,
despite my efforts to remain anonymous, many missionaries eventually
learned of my college radio experience and often referred to me as
"A-Town." Upon my return from North Carolina, I headed back down to
Snow for such notable accomplishments as "City Council," seasons two and
three, and an MC gig at Snow's first-ever "KAGE Idol" competition. When
I transferred to the University of Utah, I didn't participate in
college radio for my first year, mainly because I didn't know such a
program existed. However, one afternoon on my way home from class, I saw
a tiny little bulletin posted in one of the hallways looking for DJs. I
responded to the want ad and eventually got lined up with a staff
position at K-UTE Radio as the Program Director (the same position I had
previously held at the KAGE in Ephraim). I hosted a three-hour morning
show each Friday at the U, which was a good time, but at the end of the
Fall 2010 semester, I graduated and had to hang up my headband. It's
been almost two years since I've been on the air
now and I miss it quite a bit. I think about the good old days quite
frequently and wish I still had a weekly show to run. I'm excited to
spend a couple hours in the studio with Amy tonight. I'll try to get a
recording of it and post it online somehow so you can all have the
opportunity to choose not to listen to it.
At work on Monday morning, I had the opportunity to re-listen to some of my old podcasts from "The House that A-Town Built." That was some pretty good stuff, unbeknownst to any of my listeners. Some of my favorite lines from the episodes I listened to were "Limewire got the axe. Oh crap!" and "Happy little birthday to you, Bob Ross." Heh. I intentionally listened to my Halloween show, during which I only played Halloween-related songs. You know... Like "Thriller" by Michael Jackson, "The Monster Mash," and "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Heh. Frankie. No? Nobody gets it.
At work on Monday morning, I had the opportunity to re-listen to some of my old podcasts from "The House that A-Town Built." That was some pretty good stuff, unbeknownst to any of my listeners. Some of my favorite lines from the episodes I listened to were "Limewire got the axe. Oh crap!" and "Happy little birthday to you, Bob Ross." Heh. I intentionally listened to my Halloween show, during which I only played Halloween-related songs. You know... Like "Thriller" by Michael Jackson, "The Monster Mash," and "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Heh. Frankie. No? Nobody gets it.
You know, I've been thinking something for a long time - and the more I think about it, the more I believe it's true. I think I am probably the most under-appreciated genius in the world. Or at least west of the Mississippi. Since back in the days of the "KAGE Match" when people didn't understand why I paired John Mayer with The Presidents of the United States of America to the Halloween party that I referred to in the aforementioned Halloween podcast of "The House that A-Town Built" where I had gone dressed up as a member of the Nerd Herd from "Chuck" and people thought I was a missionary to the time when I wrote this really, inexplicably long sentence in Issue No. 231 of "Signs of the Times," I just don't think that people have adequately appreciated - or even really comprehended - how brilliant I actually am. Do people not understand that my Newsletter is crafted meticulously by hand each and every Tuesday, rain or shine? Is anyone else positively shocked that my A-Town Webisodes didn't make it viral, unless we're counting the number of times that I forced my immediate family to watch them over and over? I was left no other option but to concede in the race for the Oval Office due to lack of support, I cry myself to sleep every Sunday night because I know that CBS overlooked the Brothers Christensen for "The Amazing Race," and I haven't had an exclusive girlfriend in 35 months. Are you kidding me, people? Sometimes I figure that I can either continue to beg and to plead to be noticed by the American masses or I can take a stand. Recently, I took a stand. And you know what? It came back and bit me right in the bum. But guess what, everybody? I'd rather be rejected for being myself than be accepted for molding myself to become someone or something that I'm not. My name is A-Town... and I'm the best. You know it to be true.
Tag Team champion.
And then, in a late-night fit of non-violent rage induced, most likely, by drowsiness, I unfriended 79 people on Facebook. I felt considerably better after having done so late Sunday night. They can't say I didn't give them a chance to take off and run with me, either. Because I did... Oh yes, I did.As I watched the nightly news on Sunday night, one of their filler stories was about an alleged "Bigfoot" sighting. Is it just me or are people who claim to have seen Bigfoot (stereo-)typically not the most credible-looking people in the world?
Like these gentlemen.
What are people trying to accomplish when they ask you what kind of car you drive? What difference does it make?
I had a weird dream early Monday morning that I was driving my scooter from Salt Lake City to Provo. That's weird because A) I can't legally take the scooter on the freeway (the fastest I've been able to go on it is, like, 37.5 MPH) and B) it's currently pretty much out of gas. Most of the dream consisted of me walking around with my helmet on and trying to figure out what kind of gas to fill the tank with.
I
played Stake Volleyball for the first time this season last Wednesday
night. I'm not a big-time volleyball player. In fact, I hated volleyball
as a child. I remember having to play during "gym time" in elementary
school. The balls really hurt my arms as I hit them. In retrospect, I
think they were incredibly over-inflated. Anybody who
has played volleyball with over-inflated balls knows what I'm talking
about. Those things
sting! I remember intentionally wearing long sleeves the next time I
knew we had volleyball coming up so the balls wouldn't make my arms turn
red. The teacher in charge of the gym period made fun of me in front of
my classmates. I was a really shy kid, so that was pretty traumatizing
for me. Anyway, I have gotten a little better at volleyball since those
days and I don't need to wear long sleeves anymore, but there are still a
couple things I'm trying to understand - like the Question I
posed to female online acquaintances on Facebook the other day: When
playing co-ed sports, do you find it more attractive if a guy is
confidently good or amusingly bad? Now, to set the record straight, I
don't classify myself in either of those categories. I'm definitely not
very good at volleyball, but I don't think I make a total idiot of
myself, either. As I looked around and
did a little
people watching that night, though, I found it interesting to note that
I definitely wasn't the worst player on my team - heck, I may have
arguably been the BEST player on my team for some stretches, blocking
spikes, serving aces, volleying a ball that bounced off the wall back
over my head from out of bounds and having it drop right over the net
between two opposing defenders... That's not too shabby! With that in
mind, I definitely wasn't the best player there. Not by a long shot. But
the girls that were present were going ga-ga over the guys that
couldn't hit the ball back over the net! I understand girls like guys
who know how to have fun, but can't you have fun and be good, too?
Somebody explain that to me.
He rocks at volleyball, but can't get a second date.
It's time for this week's "Amazing
Race" recap:
Bangladesh!
Oh gosh, I
have a really, really hard time with that culture. I'm not sure exactly
how to pinpoint it, but I would have had a very tough time in that part
of the country. The teams started out having to re-finish a painted
section of a bus using putty and a scraper. The hardest part of that
challenge would definitely have been putting up with those INCREDIBLY
ANNOYING Sri Lankan sisters. "Long, strong, and hard, Twinny. Long,
strong, and hard." Oh...
my gosh. SHUT UP!!! I'm sure CBS loves those two. There was also an
option to do a "Fast Forward" challenge - the completion of which
required team members to handle a bunch of huge, dead rats. Oh gosh.
Kill me. There's no way I would have chosen to use the Fast Forward
option. Disgusting. The clue had teams digging through a bunch of
smelly, dried fish. Uh, again, disgusting. Doable, but disgusting. For
this episode's "Road
Block"
challenge, teams had to either pound a bunch of cotton, pack it into a
huge mattress, and sew it up, or use a bellows and sledgehammers to
pound iron into a primitive weapon. Austin and I grew up doing manual
labor. We'd pound the metal out pretty quick and be on our way. There
seems to be a lot of miscommunication this season. I'm not sure whether
this mainly stems from cultural and language barriers or if it's because
people just aren't fully reading the clues. Anyway, to recap this
episode, I think I would have had a tough time in that area of the world
- but hey, when there's a million dollars on the line, nothing is going
to going to slow me down. Not even a bunch of gigantic rodents. If
anything, that would just make me want to complete the tasks faster. I
really hate rodents. I had a bad experience as a child. Well, many bad
experiences. I was the only one brave enough to fight off the onslaught
of mice that invaded our basement in Draper. So I
killed them. I killed them all. Even, in one instance, a baby mouse. I
won't go into any more detail.
Switching back to the topic previously at hand, Austin sent me a link on Sunday night. This link, as a matter of fact: http://www.theamazingracecasting.com/apply ... The deadline is November 7... And we're going to get started on our audition video tomorrow.
Switching back to the topic previously at hand, Austin sent me a link on Sunday night. This link, as a matter of fact: http://www.theamazingracecasting.com/apply ... The deadline is November 7... And we're going to get started on our audition video tomorrow.
Why, thank you, Phil! Don't mind if we do!
In sports news, the Utes suck. I need to stop planning my weekends around that garbage.
The Fantasy Football Star of the Week
is Adrian Peterson, who rushed 23 times for 153 yards and a TD. His
50.65 fantasy points propelled my dearest mother to another
league-leading week, giving her a dominant lead for first place (for the
time being). I'll tell you what - my team needs to snap out of it!
Luckily, most of my major players have already had their bye weeks, so
now that we've gotten that out of the way, hopefully we'll see better
results in the upcoming weeks. I can't lose! Especially not to my mom.
She wins too much.
AP.
The Shoutout of the Week goes to Jason
"The Barbarian" Moffat. Jason "The Barbarian" and I go way back. Way
back to the days of Snow College. Our friendship and eventual rivalry on
the airwaves at the KAGE can only be described in one word - epic. Yes,
epic! Epic, in the sense that the rivalry spanned across weeks and
months in a battle to define "manliness" - a battle which, ultimately,
culminated in a steel cage match on the top of the KAGE. The match
eventually became so heated that the arena exploded. Thankfully, we both
escaped with our lives - but just barely. The bond of brotherhood and
friendship that was forged in that process is unparalleled in the
history of college radio. That friendship continues to this day as a
testament to the absolute greatness that was spawned from the former
hosts of "City Council" and "The Manly Show." Excuse me whilst I shed a
tear of utter nostalgia.
Well, that's about it for this week, kiddos! I tried to knock the blog out early so I can prepare for the big radio show tonight. Yes! I'll be guest-hosting "The Love Shack" on the KAGE down in Ephraim tonight with none other than my sister, "The Dicer"! So come on! And bring your jukebox money!
Until next Time,
Move It! Sell It! And Leave the Door Open!
Aaron
Well, that's about it for this week, kiddos! I tried to knock the blog out early so I can prepare for the big radio show tonight. Yes! I'll be guest-hosting "The Love Shack" on the KAGE down in Ephraim tonight with none other than my sister, "The Dicer"! So come on! And bring your jukebox money!
Until next Time,
Move It! Sell It! And Leave the Door Open!
Aaron






No comments:
Post a Comment