Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Signs of the Times, Issue No. 230 - 10/16/12

Do WHAT in the radiator??


Greetings to one and all from a slow Tuesday in the workplace. But that's a good thing! That means I was able to write most of this in between calls, so I don't have to stress about it when I get home. I like when you people harass me about the blog not being posted, though. That means you care. It's like a big, technological hug. #warmfuzzies All right. Let's get down to business. Topics to be discussed today: the scariest movies ever, the creepiest calling in church, the proverbial white flag, the ultimate basketball match-up, and one of my favorite party games of all time. On we go!


**QUESTION TIME!!**


Q. "Dear Aaron,
What is the scariest movie you have ever seen?"
Just Curious,
- The Junior Mounties

A. Well, with Halloween coming up (my FAVORITE holiday), it's funny you should ask. (SALUTE!) I typically try to avoid anything where I have to pay my own hard-earned money to intentionally scare myself. However, if I had to give you an answer right here, right now, I'd have to go with "The Sixth Sense," which came out when I think I was in middle school-ish. That movie scared the heck out of me. Thankfully, nobody had spoiled the ending for me at the time I saw it, so I had no idea what was coming, but that movie seriously had me spooked for a long, long time. It didn't help that my older brother and a punk kid from our home ward were sitting behind me throwing popcorn at my head throughout most of the intense scenes. Not. Helping. I also had a horrible experience with the original "Red Dawn" movie. My family watched it up at our cabin one time and, as I recall, the movie itself wasn't that scary, but waking up the next morning and thinking that communists were parachuting onto the cabin's back porch was not something I'd like to experience ever again. MGM has finally scrounged up enough money to release their "Red Dawn" remake, which, I guess comes out here in a couple weeks. You think I'm planning on seeing that? HECK NO. HECK. NO.



Swayze. Sheen. #losing

As always, if any of you have Questions, which I'm sure you don't - but if you did... - you know where to find me.


You know, I think some people may think I dress like a slouch. I, on the other hand, think I'm the most stylish person ever. So let's put that to the test, shall we? Ok. After church on Sunday, my ward and the other singles ward that uses the building at the same time as us had our monthly "Break the Fast" activity. Every Fast Sunday, we stay a little late and have some food and get a chance to meet new people and whatnot. This Sunday, they had a different way to start the activity - they had all the gentlemen take their ties off. Theoretically, the girls would go pick a tie and have to sit by the guy whose tie they had chosen as they ate. Part of me immediately wished that I had chosen an uglier tie to wear to church that day. I kept a close eye on the pile of ties because I really, really liked that tie, all right? It was a duo-tone purple tie with slanted stripes. Very nice, very stylish. As luck would have it, my tie was basically right on top of the pile. This was both good and bad - good because I could easily see who chose it, but bad because I was a little weary of some of the girls who stood right next to the pile. To make a long story short (too late), as if my fashion sense were ever actually in question, my tie was the overall number one selection - the first tie chosen from the heap of ties. YES! Number one! As far as who the brilliant young lady was that chose my tie, it was a girl in my ward. I already knew her, she already knew me. She was very nice. And I was quick to point out that she has great taste in ties. Tip: For next time, Activities Committee: If the goal is to force us to mingle with the other ward and get to know completely new people, take our ties and put give them to their ward. Take their ties and give them to our ward. Wink.



"You're gonna like the way A-Town looks. I guarantee it."

I went to a fireside on Sunday night. It was pretty good. It was warm. I was tired. That's usually not a good combination. This time was no different. I was totally falling asleep there for a bit, but I ended up making it out without any irreparable damage to my reputation. Actually, scratch that. As I was leaving the fireside, I was standing by the door and this girl walked by. She kind of looked at me and kind of, like, half-smiled-half-muttered something to me, so I said, "Hey, um, what's your name? You look really familiar." This wasn't a pick up line. She really did look familiar. Perhaps I'd gone to school with her or something. "So-and-so," she responded. Last name? "Blah-blah-blah," she said. With my current calling in the ward, let's just say that I know pretty much everybody in the ward, even if they're brand new, but hardly anybody knows who I am, for some reason. Weird. Anyway, I recognized the name as one of the new members of the ward. I told the girl that we were in the same ward. Confused, she asked if I was in the Crescent Park Ward. I responded that I was. I asked where she had gone to school, thinking perhaps we had been classmates at Alta. She told me that she went to some high school in California. Evidently, we did not go to school together. By this point, she was looking at me with an expression that seemed to say, "Why are you asking me so many questions? You freak. Leave me alone." It was then that I wisely chose to end the conversation. She went on her way and I proceeded to bang my head against the wall.

Tell me honestly, people. Is that creepy of me? I saw a girl who looked familiar (it turns out she was in my ward, so that's where I apparently had seen her before), so I asked what her name was and where she went to high school. Creepy!!! I don't think it was that weird. I asked somebody else about it and they told me I should smile more. Objection A) I HATE when people tell me to smile more. Objection B) I actually think it would be even creepier if I was grinning from ear to ear for no apparent reason. But I don't think that those basic get-to-know-you questions are offensive, prying, nor creepy. I don't know. Anyway, that was weird.


What's up with the Utes, huh? I'm not sure why they decided to bench Jon Hays and go with Travis Wilson against UCLA. Wilson didn't look horrible, necessarily, but he didn't put any points on the board, either did he? Jon Hays comes in for one play and he throws a touchdown pass. Is that not a sign from above? Jon Hays is the man. I just feel like benching our senior quarterback that actually has experience in favor of a true freshman that had never started a game looked and felt a whole lot like throwing in the towel to me. There's no way around it - the Utes stink this year. Everybody in this state stinks (but Utah State stinks the best... or least... or whatever). Now Coach Whittingham is apparently saying that going to a bowl game isn't the goal anymore. What is that supposed to mean? We don't care about winning? Oh gosh. Why do I waste my Saturdays watching all the in-state teams get blown out week after week after week? It's depressing. I should do something more fun and productive. Like one-player Rock Band vocals.

So much for those high expectations.

Speaking of fun things I've done recently, I have recently acquired the latest NBA basketball video game. Whilst playing the aforementioned game recently, I hosted an exhibition featuring the USA Dream Team from the '90s and Team USA from the London Olympics. The inclusion of the two Olympic squads was largely due to Kobe Bryant's comments a few months ago when he said the current national team would have beaten the Dream Team. I, for one, find that argument fascinating and I believe that the Dream Team of Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, John Stockton, and others would have wiped the floor with LeBron, Carmelo Anthony, and Kobe. I controlled the Dream Team, upped the difficulty level to make sure they actually put up a fight, and ended up walking away with a victory. I don't mean to sound geeky or like a "gamer" or whatever, but that was sooooo awesome. I've been able to play a handful of games in the last couple weeks using some of the other legendary teams included on the game and it takes me way back to the Golden Age of basketball... back in the '90s when there were actually a lot of good, fun, likable teams in the league. Ah, it was beautiful. I've played with the '97 Jazz, I've played with the LJ/Mugsy/Zo Charlotte Hornets, I've used Penny Hardaway's '94 Magic... As a life-long basketball fan, I think that is totally awesome. If you want to come challenge me and get beat down mercilessly (right, Cody?), you know where to find me.



The best team ever assembled.

Speaking of awesome games, last night at my ward's FHE, I played croquet, but I got worked and I don't want to talk about it. I want to talk about "Catch Phrase," one of my favorite games from my high school days. I've been involved in some pretty intense games of "Catch Phrase" in my time... Last night was not one of them. It was basically just 20 people passing the thing around and trying to guess the word while that annoying timer beeped in the background. There weren't teams and we weren't keeping score, so I wasn't being serious about the game. I would just say sarcastic stuff and give ridiculous answers to see if anybody else there had a sense of humor. IFor instance, "When you take a shower, this is what you wear..." My response: "Shorts?" Come on, people. Come on. I don't think my clue-giving skills were much more popular. "It's a very generic type of alcohol... you know... very strong alcohol? (Vodka?) More generic... Anybody? (Beer?) No..." It was liquor. Liquor. How was I the only person that knew what liquor was? Everyone looked at me like I was a drunkard or something. Ugh. Poor word to have at a gathering of Mormons, I guess. Needless to say, I think I probably annoyed more people than I impressed with my wit and cleverness, but I am happy to report that it turns out that there are actually four or five other funny people in my ward! I'm impressed.

I love this game.

It's time for this week's "Amazing Race" recap. I'm watching it as we speak, so if you're more of a procrastinator than me and still haven't seen last Sunday's episode, you might want to skip to the next paragraph. All right, starting off, good heavens, are those Indian twins annoying!? I bet CBS loves them. Austin points out that they sound like Short Round from Indiana Jones. As much as I hate to admit it, he's right. "But the thing is," Austin says, "Short Round is a kid and he's cute." Valid point. They're in Indonesia this week. Those annoying sisters probably feel right at home. I'm sorry, but I have a really hard time embracing this culture. It's all very strange combination of obnoxious, flamboyant, and primitive. It's a little much for me. But I'd suck it up and we'd dominate. There's a Double U-Turn this week. That means that you can choose any other team and make them go back to perform another challenge. In some previous episodes, if you chose to use the U-Turn on someone, they would display a picture of your team showing that you were the ones who used the U-Turn. In this case, the U-Turn would remain anonymous. If that were the case and Austin and I were in the race, I would use a Blind U-Turn in the blink of an eye. I'd be more hesitant to use the U-Turn if it wasn't anonymous, unless we were in a desperate situation, but if nobody knew that it was us that flipped another team around, I'd do that in a heartbeat! Austin is in agreeance. Another thought: Why do Americans think that talking louder and slower to or yelling at foreigners will help them magically understand English? I really can't stand those Sri Lankan sisters. Oh gosh. There are actually quite a few teams this season that I can't stand. Those blonde chicks are rude and annoying. (Snort) Tall man and short man were a big disappointment. They seemed cool in the first episode, but have been a let-down in episodes two and three. And finally, I again contend that there is no way that Austin and I would have been eliminated in the third leg of the Amazing Race because there are so many totally brain-dead teams out there. There are some really, really dumb companionships this season. Pretty pathetic. You blew it, CBS!! The Brothers Christensen = domination.


The Head Hunters expanded their coveted lead in fantasy football last week in what appeared to be an off-week for most teams (mainly mine - I notched the lowest score total of the week by almost 60 points). Notably, Denver's defense helped propel Austin's team to another first-place finish after that insane second half of Monday Night Football last night. The Broncos only allowed 18 points on defense (the offense allowed a pick-6), sacked Phillip Rivers 4 times, had four interceptions, two recovered fumbles, and two touchdowns for a total of 41.00 points. Wow. Amazing. They'll be the Fantasy Football Star of the Week. Congratulations, I guess. It is also to note that Phillip Rivers still had more fantasy points than Alex Smith, who I started in place of Drew Brees and Cam Newton, who both had bye weeks. Sickening.



Incredible comeback. Lockdown D.

The Shoutout of the Week this week goes to none other than Crystal Nichols, who I met during my internship at X96. Crystal is cool. She still talks to me sometimes and stalks me when I go to Lagoon, which is kind of weird, but ok with me. She's also one of the few, incredibly lucky and brave people to have not only had a dream about A-Town, but also admit it to me. So how 'bout that, huh? She's also slightly embarrassed now. Happy Tuesday to you, ma'am.
Well, that's about it for this week, kiddos. Today is a good day, don't you think? Oh yes. It's always a good day when it's Tuesday. Best of luck to you all. Farewell, my friends. Farewell.


Until next Time,

Move It. Sell It. And Leave the Door Open.

Aaron

No comments: