Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Signs of the Times, Issue No. 120 - 08/31/10

Who told the sun to shine??


Greetings to one and all. This is Aaron and I'm sitting on TRAX typing sideways right now. TRAX is an interesting place to be. There are a lot of really, really weird people that ride it. But we're not talking about that today. What we are talking about, however, are the following topics: Bringing the brewskis; my "House"-warming party; people who need to consider a relocation program; the start of the college football season; my newest "DwtS" prediction; and a movie so realistic, it's like you're actually getting smashed in the face by a steel chair. On we go!


Well, there were a few big things that happened last week. First, and probably most notably, is that I joined a fraternity. Yes, A-Town is now a frat boy. Let's keep in mind that it's an LDS fraternity - the only Church-sponsored fraternity in the entire world, as a matter of fact - so it's not like they hazed me or are going to entice me to chug beer this semester or anything like that. Actually, I take that back. They are going to haze me - by making me make breakfast for 300 girls on Saturday morning and then sit there and watch them eat it. That's probably about as bad as it will get, though. On Thursday, I was placed in the Xi chapter of the Sigma Gamma Chi fraternity on campus. I, along with maybe 10 or 15 other guys, joined the chapter, making it somewhere around 35 to 40 guys in total. From what I know at this point, we'll be meeting every Thursday night at 7:00 to do a multiplicity of things, including service, video games, sports, and pre-planned dates with girls from the LDS sorority. It seems like a good group of guys and I'm really excited to start up the activities next week. Perhaps this is the social life I've been searching for since transferring from Snow back in 2009. I'll finally have a group of friends to do things with and it should be a pretty reliable resource for introducing me to Mormon girls. I guess only time will tell... I'll keep you updated, of course.

Xi 4 life.

The other big thing that happened for me last week was the series premiere of my new radio show, "The House that A-Town Built" on www.kuteradio.com. Honestly, judging by the non-existent fan base that K-UTE currently fosters, I was expecting a very low turnout from listeners. I tried to promote the show using Facebook since virtually everyone that ever tunes into the show will be doing it online. Hopefully I wasn't too annoying, but I'm sure that I was. Oh well. If you don't like it, unfriend me. Somewhat surprisingly, my Facebook fan page had upwards of 45 people join it before the show even started. As the show went on the air, I knew a few people (mostly immediate family) were listening, and that was good enough for me. As time went on, though, more and more people tuned in. The busiest part of the show was around 10:00 for the weather forecast. By my calculations, I had at least 21 people that informed me via chat and/or wall post that they were listening, but there very well could have been more! Some guy named Jerome joined the fan page and I have no idea who that is. There were also several siblings of other listeners who were present throughout parts of the show. I like to keep track of my listeners and put them on a map of the self-proclaimed "A-Town Nation." As of Friday, I had listeners in Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Tennessee, and New Mexico. Things are looking promising for "The House that A-Town Built." Be sure to join the fan page and to tune in this Friday from 9:00 AM until noon when King Kong will battle Godzilla in the first-ever "K-UTE Clash." You, the listeners will help me decide a winner in this unprecedented street brawl. Should be a good one.

Join the fan page over there ------------->

Do you know what I hate? People who hate Utah and live in Utah. Especially when they're adults. This is kind of going along with last week's Boo Box in the sense that I'm sick of hearing people in my classes complain about Utah culture. If you don't like it, get out. You're an adult. You're a grown up. If you don't like it, get out. If you're going to school and/or living in Salt Lake City, headquarters of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, you should expect going into it that there would be a lot of Mormon influence in our culture. Hello! The temple is right there!! (*points out the window*) Everybody together now - BOOOOOO!! And that, my friends, is what we like to call The Boo Box. Sickening.

Found this on a web page with reasons why to hate the Utah Jazz. HAHAHA!!

It's college football season once again and, though I'm admittedly not a big fan of college sports (I prefer the pros), I do follow BYU and Utah very closely in the fall. The Utes kick off their regular season this Thursday against the Pitt Panthers and I'm proud to announce that Scott Aylett and I will be sitting in the Mighty Utah Student Section on the 19th row of the lower bowl for each and every home game, including the TCU game and the notorious "Holy War" against BYU at the end of November. Look for me on TV. And I guess I have to admit this since I know there are many Cougars reading the Newsletter lately - I'm even planning on watching the BYU game on TV on Saturday. And I'm excited for it, too. Gotta study up on the competition, you know? But seriously, just in case there's any confusion as to where my loyalties stand - GO UTES!!!!!!!!

Ki-Yi!!!

So when I was waiting to transfer to the Sandy train downtown at the Gallivan Plaza, I saw a white trash girl trying to pick a fight with a Black guy. This frightened me for several reasons - partially because I thought he was going to attack her, but mostly because the girl was sitting less than five feet away from me. He told her, roughly translated, to shut her mouth, to which she responded that she was "going [on TRAX] to the library." Ah, TRAX... That's P.M.U.!!


**QUESTION TIME!!**


Q. "Hey A-Town,
What do you think about the new cast for 'Dancing with the Stars'? I'm a big fan, but who considers Bristol Palin a star... really? So, seer of seers, prognosticator of prognosticators, do you have a prediction?"
- Your Mother

A. Let me just take a second to explain something for all you new converts to the Newsletter out there. I get this Question about twice a year. I have for the last 2 1/2 years. "Who do you think will win 'Dancing with the Stars'?" I'll have you know that I correctly predicted Brooke Burke, Shawn Johnson (and the runner-up), and Donny Osmond in consecutive seasons. About halfway through that third season, I got emotionally invested in the show. Twice in a row was nice, maybe a fluke, but then I realized that I had been given a gift - a gift of prognostication, as it were. Last season, I predicted that Evan Lysacek would beat that little freaker, Nicole Scherzinger, in the finals. Nicole ended up beating Evan in the final episode in what I deemed to be a biased, sexist, unfair decision. I had been contemplating retirement at the end of that season, especially if Evan would have won, but I feel cheated. I feel that I've come up empty-handed and, this season, I'm out for blood. This season's cast looks kind of lame, to be honest, and the first thought I had was the same as yours, Mother. Bristol Palin?? Is she even a celebrity? I'm not sure what to think about that. They've got some punk from "Jersey Shore" and a kid from "That's So Raven." As you mentioned to me, if Evan Lysacek was with this season's cast, he would have dominated them. At first, I thought that David Hasslehoff would be a joke, but the more I think about it, I think he actually might be good. I also think that Michael Bolton could go far - perhaps in the finals? Don't quote me on that one... unless I'm right. The real question is who Derek Hough will be with, though. I want to see him dance with the worst contestant. I want that guy out first. But I predict that the winner of season 11 will be former pop and R&B singer, Brandy. If I lose this time, I may never predict anything ever again.

Don't let me down, home gurl!!

Q. "Dear Aaron,
I was wondering about your next movie. I think it should be 'The Big Ticket 3-D' or nobody will even consider watching it. What are your thoughts?"
- Andrea Chapman

A. After the success of "The Big Ticket" movies, I was happily considering retirement. Plus, I was under the impression that if I so much as thought about making a third "Big Ticket" movie that my Mom would kick me out of the house, which is something that I can't really handle right now. BUT... now that you mention it, can you imagine how intense a 3D movie would be? As I've stated in the past, I'm not a big fan of the recent 3D trend in cinema, but if I was starring in the movie, that would be pretty dang awesome. Ah, I can envision the training scene in my mind as we speak. YEH GOT SPEEEEEEEEEED!!!

Thanks, man. That means a lot coming from you.

The Shoutout of the Week this week goes to the mighty Snow College Badgers who laid absolute waste to their opponents in last week's football season opener in Ephraim, 80-6. Austin was there in attendance and he was loving it... as he should... as he should.


If I see one more person post a status about how they're going to see John Mayer tonight, so help me...


I think that's about all I'll bore you with this week. If you have things you'd like me to talk about, send me a Question or leave me a comment on the blog site, which, might I add, is as popular as ever. Ah... Tuesday.


Until next Time,

Move It! Sell It! And Leave the Door Open!

Aaron

No comments: