Monday, August 2, 2010

Signs of the Times, Issue No. 115 - 08/01/10

Short and sweet... because it's midnight and I have a headache.


Greetings to one and all. Hello, hello... Yes, yes, it's me and, believe it or not, this is my final week of EFY. I can't believe how fast it's gone by. Topics to be discussed today: The end of EFY, my failure to wed, the return of Austin, and space monkeys. On we go!


Well, another summer has come and gone. I really can't believe it's over. This is my final week. No more polo shirts. No more staying up late and getting up before 6 in the morning. No more sweating all the time. No more people telling me I look mad every time they see me. No more Miley Cyrus. And, most disappointingly of all, no more friends. That's what I'm worried the most about. I've spent the last two months getting to know tons of amazing people and now I have to say goodbye to all of them and come back up to Salt Lake City where people are way less friendly. I have made some great friends this summer and it will be sad to leave them all behind in a few days, but hey - I've been coming down to Provo once or twice a week for the last two months, anyway - it won't be that much of a sacrifice if I ever want to come see them. I have had some awesome experiences working with the kids this summer and I don't regret a moment of my time here. However, there is one thing I'd like to whine about for a moment, if you'll permit me. Of course you will.

I hate when you people are right. Because, let's face it - when you're right and I'm wrong, that kind of puts me out of a job. Well, back a month or two ago, I had a poll on the blog site that asked what my odds were of finding my wife at EFY. I, along with several Loyal A-Towners, voted that I had a high likelihood of finding a future spouse here in Provo. I believe that the majority of you responded pessimistically, though, with a couple voters saying that I had absolutely no chance of finding her this summer. As of right now, I'm still single, so things aren't looking good in the ladies department. It's not the end of the world, obviously, but it would have been nice, you know? A few months ago, I thought, "Yes! Single Mormon girls!" I thought I'd have a lot of opportunities to date girls while I was here. There were a lot of young ladies here this summer - that's a fact. But instead of single girls looking for a strapping young lad such as myself, I found a lot of attractive girls who were either engaged, already in a relationship, uninterested in Mr. Christensen, or afraid of commitment. What the heck am I supposed to do? I'm not looking forward to going back to the U because girls won't talk to me when they find out my religious affiliation (true story - it's happened multiple times). So I've either got seven days to find a wife or I guess I'll just pack my bags and head back home empty handed and down on my luck. Personally, I'm in no hurry to scramble at this point. Boo Box for all of you. Boo BoxBOOOOOO!!


Austin got home on Wednesday. I drove up to Sandy and went to the airport with my family. We were unaware that his flight would be getting in an hour and 15 minutes late, so we ended up sitting around at the airport for like two hours. It was all for a good cause, though, as he returned safe and sound at about 1:00 that afternoon, draped in the Brazilian flag. He's a little weird still, but that's to be expected. I felt like it didn't take me very long to adjust to the "real world" after I got back, but that was thanks mostly to the fact that I was surrounded by American culture and English-speakers the entire time. Austin has struggled a little bit with English and just wants to read the Ensign all day, but he'll be normal again in a week or two. I made him sit down and watch "The Big Ticket 2" with me today and he laughed a lot, so that's a good sign. He's a good boy and we're glad to have him back. I better enjoy my time with him. I'll spend next week with him and then I'll be gone for a week and get home right before he moves down to Ephraim for school at the end of the month.

Here he comes!

Welcome to America.

My mom's side of the family had a reunion over the weekend. I think EFY has gotten me out of my shell as far as playing ridiculous games goes. All I can say is this - it's all about balancing a wet sponge on your head. That game was awesome.



**QUESTION TIME!!**


Q. "Dear Aaron,
If you could have any pet in imaginable, which would you choose?"
Just Curious,
- The Junior Mounties

A. (SALUTE!) Thanks for asking. I'd want to live in outer space with a space monkey.


Q. "If you had one thing to say to all the youth that come to EFY, what would it be?"
- Kathryn Christensen

A. That's a really good Question. If I could tell them one thing, I would tell them that the Gospel is awesome. The Gospel is fun. And the Gospel relates to everything we do in life. I guess technically that's three things, but I'd wrap them all up together in a nice, pretty package and give it to them for their birthday. One of my favorite things about EFY is teaching the kids that you can have fun without breaking the rules. You can have fun and feel the Spirit at the same time and vice versa. I love helping them apply the lessons to their average teenage lives. Any Question they have can be answered by the scriptures and finding the answers to those Questions is exciting. So that's the deal, kiddos. The Gospel isn't boring. It's awesome.


Well, that's about all I have time for right now. I still need to make my bed and unpack my stuff. Next week I'll be able to sit down and post something on a Tuesday again for the first time in months, so that will be nice. I also think I'll take my blog site off of private since my creepy stalkers have finally gone away. For now.


Until next Time,

Move It. Sell It. And Leave the Door Open.

Aaron

No comments: