Monday, July 26, 2010

Signs of the Times, Issue No. 114 - 07/26/10

I'm leaving on a jet plane/Don't know when I'll be back again...


Greetings to one and all. This is Aaron and, well, Austin comes home on Wednesday. Topics to be discussed today: Austin's big return, Facebook in letter format, my newly-developed sleep anxiety, and ASL Week. On we go!


Well, well, well... How fast time flies. I'm down to two weeks left of EFY this summer and my younger brother and friend of the program, Austin Christensen, comes home from his LDS mission to Brazil in a day and a half. I remember that feeling all too well - sitting at church in Kinston, NC, for the last time; bearing my final testimony; hopping on the giant metal bird and flying on home. Those were some strange times. I think that as a missionary, I imagined that I'd come back home and everything would be just how I left it two years earlier, but as soon as I got to the airport, I saw this huge kid that claimed to be my brother, Cody. He's even bigger now, with a deeper voice, so I'm sure Austin will get a good laugh out of that. Things are much different now than when Austin left the continent 24 months ago. I had a little bit of culture shock when I came home, but at least I had been surrounded by the English language and American culture the whole time. Austin occasionally forgets what day comes after Monday. Um... are you serious? That's P.M.U.!! Tuesday is the correct answer. Tuesday. But anyway, it will be nice to have that kid back home. He'll be here for a few weeks and then he's headed down to the land of the free and the home of the Badgers to start school at Snow College. I'll post some pictures on Facebook later this week and we'll have a little recap of this Wednesday's festivities in the next Issue.


Do you know what annoys me? When people post their Facebook statuses in letter form. "dear disneyworld, i miss you so much. love, [so-and-so]" Ok. First of all, your capitalization needs some work. Secondly, it's not like Disneyworld will ever see your status - it's a theme park!


Here is your Week in Review. I saw the new movie, "Inception," yesterday with my family. Blew my dang mind away. I think it was a bad time for me to see the movie. I was really tired from another long week at EFY and I was feeling a little bit sick, so I left with a killer headache. The plot is super intense and extremely complicated. It's a psychological thriller along the lines of "Minority Report," so it's one of those movies that will probably have me thinking about it for days. The special effects were unbelievable - probably the best I've ever seen. But perhaps the most interesting thing of all is that the kid from "Angels in the Outfield" is actually an ok actor now. I was shocked. I'm going to give "Inception" 9 out of 10 on my scale. I'd like to go see it again sometime now that I understand what the deal is.


Last week at EFY was ASL Week, so we had about 30 or 40 deaf or hard-of-hearing participants here with us. This makes for quite an interesting experience. They all stay in the same group and work with counselors that interpret for them and it's always a good experience. I worked ASL Week last year and it was great, too. My duty for last week was the musical program. I had a really great time working with the kids when I did musical program for the first time a month ago and this time was no different. You don't have to deal with many trouble makers there - mostly just music nerds and good, good kids. This time around, however, we thought it would be cool to teach the choir a verse of "I Am a Child of God" in sign language. I posted a video of the kids practicing it on Facebook. Somehow, I didn't totally lose it and start crying like a little girl, but I almost did a couple times, especially during the actual performance on Thursday night when I glanced out of the corner of my eye and saw that all the deaf participants were signing the verse along with us. I hurried and looked back at the choir before the tears started to flow. Needless to say, it was another great week.


Well, I've procrastinated this long enough. Sorry that it's a short Issue, but I'm a busy boy. Quick Shoutout of the Week to my homedawg and best buddy, Austin. Can't wait to see that buckaroo on Wednesday! Wooooo!!!

Welcome home, brother.

Until next Time,

Move It. Sell It. And Leave the Door Open.

Aaron

No comments: