Sunday, July 11, 2010

Signs of the Times, Issue No. 112 - 07/11/10

Can I cry now?


Greetings to one and all. This is Aaron, back from the dead. After another crazy week of EFY and celebrity news, there is plenty to blog about. Topics to be discussed today: A dumb decision, my thoughts on NBA free agency, Facebook boredom, and my exciting life. On we go!


We start today with another Sign of the Times - a sign that YouTube is ruining society. This week in Provo, a 15-year-old kid fell from a 15-foot ledge attempting parkour (a new sport consisting of jumping gaps, running on walls, and flipping from ridiculous heights, made famous mainly in large, open concrete areas, like parking lots). That's the way things are now. If you see something on TV or on the internet, you automatically assume that you can do it in real life. Little do teenagers know that not EVERYTHING you see on TV is real or necessarily shot on the first take. Don't try this at home. Don't try this at home! Whatever happened to that little disclaimer?


Professional and collegiate sports are on the fast track to Hades. First of all came that fiasco with the Utes going to the PAC-10 or 12 or whatever and now comes all this garbage in the NBA this week. It's time for The Boo Box. First of all, Carlos Boozer heads to the Chicago Bulls. The Bulls?? If you desire to leave Utah on good terms, of all the teams to go to after a stint for the Jazz, the LAST two teams you should even think about considering would be the Bulls or the Lakers. That makes you Public Enemy Number One. Then he trashes Deron Williams by saying the Derrick Rose is the most talented point guard he's possibly ever seen. What is that supposed to mean? Then the next day, Kyle Korver left the Jazz and went to the Bulls. The Jazz are going down... DOWN! And it looks like we might lost We Matthews, too! This is horrible. We've got to get somebody. Preferably somebody big. But that isn't looking very likely at this point, since all the big names are gone now and nobody that's left has Utah on the top of their list of favorite destinations. Things are looking grim. And you can quote me on that. If you think things are looking good for the Jazz right now, I ask you to simply reconsider. We've been left in the dust of two huge free agent vacancies and we need some real help right now. Then there's LeBron James, media hog of the century. The thing that would make me the maddest about this if I were a big LeBron fan is that he used the media so much. It was essentially "Divorce Court" on steroids. He dragged the whole country along with him  for months when he probably knew he was leaving the entire time, which was inconsiderate and rude to everyone involved. The supreme showing of selfishness has now created the Lakers of the West, the Yankees of basketball - the Miami Heat, who landed three of the biggest free agents in the league. As a sports fan and as a human being with a brain and feelings, I find this garbage absolutely sickening. Everybody together now - BOOOOOO!!


It will be nice when the World Cup is over because then we can all go back to our normal lives where nobody actually cares about soccer.


I don't really miss Facebook that much while I'm gone. It's kind of annoying to not have internet access all the time like I usually do, but it's nice to have a break from technology. EFY keeps me pretty busy, so even if I wanted to get online, I wouldn't have much time to do it. Believe it or not, children, there are many more things to do than sit on Facebook all day. I hope this doesn't seem hypocritical - I'm online a lot. It comes with the territory. I get a lot of my material for my radio shows online, so I need to be (and should be expected to be) up-to-date with current events, but many times I just find myself sitting around on Facebook with nothing to do. As appealing as that sounds, it's really quite boring. Sometimes I just wish there were more G-rated things to do online. If nobody's online on Facebook, if I don't have any new emails, and if my fantasy sports teams are doing well, sometimes there are just other things I'd rather do than sit online clicking refresh.


The problem that I had with writing the Newsletter at this time last year was the same problem I'm having this year - there's really not that much to talk about. I hear about celebrity deaths and sports free agency through the grapevine, but other than that, it's really just the same stuff over and over every day with a few variations from week to week. We get new counselors, have new problems, and have new kids, but it's mostly all the same. I feel boring. At least last year I got dumped. That was a fun little addition to my personal life. That was exciting to talk about. So far this year, it has all been good, but all the fun stories come from the kids. I don't work much with the youth - mostly with the counselors - so I feel like there aren't as many crazy stories. I apologize profusely. I promise I'll be more entertaining in three or four weeks.


The Shoutout of the Week goes to my brother, Cody. He's sitting here in this room with me.


Mercifully, this Issue is coming to a close and that will be all for this week. As I sit here sleepily on the couch, there are only two things coming to my mind: 1) I want a nap and 2) wow, this soccer game is boring. Luckily, everything is better with sleep deprivation.


Until next Time,

Move It. Sell It. And Leave the Door Open.

Aaron

No comments: