Greetings to one and all from Ephraim, UT. It's the first week of the new year, people! And you know what that means - another lovely year of unfulfilled New Year's resolutions and fad dieting! But, as today, of all days, is a Tuesday, let us rejoice with yet another Issue of "Signs of the Times!" Good, good stuff today, people. Topics to be discussed: Spring Semester starting out strong, a little Christmas shock, people who don't make sense, Lost, inappropriate Nintendo names, virtual insects, the "Tournament of Champions," and coming to the conclusion that Kelly Pickler and the Clintons were merely compensation for Dick Clark's health. On we go!
Today is the first day of class for Spring Semester here at Snow College - At least I thought it was the first day of class... I dragged myself out of bed today at 6:45 (actually, that's just when my alarm went off... I dragged myself out of bed a little later than that...)... anyway... to make a long story short (too late), I had class at 8:00. As I trudged through the snow and headed toward the Social Science building, there wasn't a soul in sight. I did, however, see a truck pushing another truck with a snow plow on it. It was interesting. Honestly, though, I was wondering if I slept through Daylight Savings or something or possibly was a day early for my first class because I was the only person on the entire street. I headed into the building and up to the second floor. Another girl followed me as we reached room 205, where my American Government class was supposed to be. Strangely, the door was locked and the lights were off. I checked my watch. 7:56. I checked my cell phone (sometimes my watch is a little unreliable). 7:56. What was going on? We waited outside the class for about ten minutes, with two or three other people joining us eventually. We wondered if the class had been cancelled or if they had changed rooms without telling some of us. Finally, a guy with keys walked up the stairs and asked us what we were waiting for, explaining that our class doesn't even start until MARCH! Then what the heck was I even doing awake?!? Puzzling, to say the least. As we each went out separate ways, two other girls and I talked as we exited the building. We came to one of two possible conclusions: Either there are only five of us in the class or the five of us are clearly not as intelligent as the other twenty five who know how to correctly read their schedule. Either way, we figured that might not be a good thing. Ah, Spring Semester...

My mom brought something to my attention the other day (that's what moms are for, right?). I forgot to talk about the shocking turn of events at our family Christmas party on Christmas Eve. Here's the deal, people: Every year, we have like a little program/talent show type thing where each family gets up and does something Christmas-related. Some examples in the past have included Austin and I playing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" on guitar and trumpet, chime Christmas carols, short stories, the Nativity story, etc. This year was kind of a downer. People have the right to be sad at this time of year - I mean, the economy hasn't been very good, so kids aren't typically getting as many presents as they used to, which is frightfully upsetting in some social circles. This year's program reminded me of a depressing testimony meeting. Usually there will be two or three families who do something funny or dress up like elves or reindeer to do a skit or something. Not this year. Pretty much, if you had a slow, instrumental Christmas CD that you played while you talked about something you read in the Ensign, you'd fit right in to this shindig. I didn't know things were going to be like that. I honestly expected something a little more upbeat. Well anyway, my brother Adam comes up with this crazy idea for our portion of the program. At first, I didn't like the idea, honestly, but the more I thought about it, it grew on me. I realized that it might be shocking, that it might scare people, and quite possibly even cause a heart attack. And I liked it. I won't give it away, but I will give you a link to visit so you can experience it for yourself. Keep in mind, this is a dramatic re-enactment of our performance. Hopefully YouTube won't ban this video, too, so hurry and watch it while you still can. Feel free to leave comments and say how much we blew your mind. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you... The TRANS-CHRISTENSEN ORCHESTRA! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpmw883OZLo
There is still something I don't understand. I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I'm totally serious about this. Let's all travel back in time. Go back about five weeks. What was everybody saying? Oh yeah - "I can't wait 'til Christmas. I want school to be out! I'm so sick of school! Blah blah, blahbiddy blah." Hmm... Anyone else remember this, or is it just me? Anyhow, what was everyone saying as soon as school got out? "I miss my roommates! I love them so much! I can't wait to get back to school! I miss Ephraim/Provo/Whatever." Uh... hello?!? Make up your minds, people! It's like people who miss the snow. Once it starts snowing, they whine about it not being summer anymore. I don't get it. If I had my druthers, whatever that means, I would want it to be summer vacation all the time so I could sit at home with the Doobskis and do nothing all day. But like I said, maybe it's just me.

Speaking of sitting home and doing nothing all day, I am pretty sure I had the best Christmas Break ever. You could sum up my break in approximately four words: "Lost," "Rock Band," and "Christmas." I mean, what would Christmas Break be without Christmas? (Just a break, I guess.) Let me tell you this - ABC's "Lost" is the craziest show on Earth. I talked about it a little bit over the summer, but over the last two weeks, I watched the entire fourth season and it pretty much blows my mind. Since Lost is ending in two seasons, they've actually started resolving some of the questions that viewers have had for so long! It's a miracle! I'm actually a little less confused than I was when I finished the third season. Well... Maybe not, but at least I'm not still confused about some of the things I was confused about before. Confusing? Exactly. I can't say too much because Amy and my mom are still watching the last couple episodes, but I'm pretty dang excited for Season Five to start up this month. If you watch Lost, let me know so we can talk. And uh... I don't think this is spoiling anything, but Ben Linus is a little punk and that's all I have to say about that. Actually, it's not. I have a lot more to say about that. I just can't. Seriously, talk to me, people.


**QUESTION TIME!!**
Q. "You've heard about the new kneepads available for the Wii, haven't you? They're called Wii-knees."
- A Loyal Subscriber
A. Uh... no, I actually hadn't heard of them. And why did you send me a Question that had already been answered? Wii-knees... Pssshh!!

You, too, can submit your already-answered Questions to me via email at tarheelglory19@yahoo.com or otherwise. Until next week...
It's time once again for the increasingly popular segment of the Newsletter known specifically as The Boo Box! There are two subjects to be humiliated today as we drop virtual scorpions on their heads. First of all, let's take a request, shall we? And I quote:
"My fellow Doobski - PUT SCHOOL IN THE BOO BOX! Haha. I've been booing school since yesterday. It's not good." Okey dokey, fellow Doobski. School is currently being placed in the Boo Box. Everybody together now - BOOOOOOOO!!
Secondly, I do believe that Peyton Manning deserves a couple earthworms on his helmet-clad noggin. Manning of the Indianapolis Colts was voted as the AP's Most Valuable Player last week. Honestly, I hated Peyton before and now I hate him even more because of this award. He does not deserve to be the MVP this year. His team wasn't even that good. He choked once again in the playoffs just days after receiving the award. It should have been Chad Pennington, Kerry Collins, maybe even Kurt Warner, Michael Turner/Matt Ryan from Atlanta - heck, I'd even consider Adrian Petersen of the Vikings (who didn't really deserve it either, in my opinion) before Peyton Manning. Top ten at the best. Maybe not even that high. I don't know what the Associate Press was thinking. Everybody together now - BOOOOOOOO!! (Actually, on second thought, let's attack him with giant brown bears. Heh heh heh.)

You gotta love the Boo Box. Oh man. It's great. While we're speaking about playoffs, I might as well mention "City Council" w/ A-Town, Season Three: The Tournament of Champions. Basically, it's going to be 2005's KAGE Match Champions versus last semester's winners. It's going to be good. Check it out starting in a week or two on Tuesday nights from 10 PM - midnight. Here's the deal, though. Since there won't be Thanksgiving, UEA, or any of that junk, I should have fifteen or sixteen shows this semester, as opposed to last semester's twelve-week season. Because there were only eight and nine Champions in 2005 and 2008, respectively, I'll need two more bands to enter the competition before I start this semester's Tournament. One of the "wild cards" will be selected from a group of former KAGE Match losers, such as the Red Hot Chili Peppers, for example. The other one, though, is still undecided. I think I'd like it to be listeners' choice - not that other winners haven't been selected by listeners, because, uh... they have... But I'd like to hear who YOU Loyal A-Towners want to see in the Tournament of Champions. If you have a band that you want me to consider, email it to me and I'll see if I can come up with any good matchups. I'm excited for this season. We're going big this semester, doing things that people have only ever dreamed of. That's all they're permitting me to say right now.
Time once again for the Shoutout of the Week. This week, it is my absolute honor to award six people. So listen up - Dallin Akagi, Jon Davis, Hilarie Laukat, Beau Shaw, Payne White, and Vanessa Young! These six people were participants in the Super Gigantic New Year's Eve Rock Band Party last Wednesday night. We successfully rocked the night away, playing Rock Band for a couple hours before ringing in the New Year with, dare I say it, Ryan Seacrest and the Jonas Brothers. It was a fun-filled night capped off by yours, truly, inconsiderately mentioning that Dick Clark sounded like he was about to die and he should stop doing these shows. Then Dallin astutely reminded me that Clark suffered a stroke and I appropriately started eating my shoe. Really, though. Who would have ever imagined that all those people from my past, ranging from elementary school all the way through my mission and college, would have ever been in the same room together? Ponderous. Truly ponderous.
That's about it for this week, Peeps. Check out the blog. At my mother's request, I have added a signature to all my outgoing emails now with the blog site address attached. So... Check it out. Lots of funny pictures and... things of that nature. Hope you're having a good one and Feeling Good About Yourselves.
Until next Time,
Move It. Sell It. And Leave the Door Open.
Aaron
1 comment:
First things first, I must confess my addiction to LOST as well! It's all Parker Wightman's fault! And yes Ben is a Wii-Knee! Much to my husband's chagrin I will be watching the fifth season faithfully and will be re-watching the fourth season online before the fifth begins. Secondly, I watched the video and it wasn't as frightening as I thought it would be! But my favorite part has to be Amy on the chimes! She's so bad-a! (can I say that on a comment post!? or at all??) Tell your family hi! Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment