Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Signs of the Times, Issue No. 27 - 10/07/08

It was about 1:45 in the morning. As face met pillow, the wall continued to throb, pounding to the beat of another Rock Band marathon. Boy, those neighbors were sure a rambunxious bunch. As he rolled over in bed, he smiled. It wasn't quite like living inbetween a vacant apartment and a family, that was certain. But then again, wasn't that what he had been hoping for all these weeks?


Greetings to one and all from a chilly Ephraim, Utah, on the best day of your fortunate lives. It's a Tuesday and that can only mean one thing - that yesterday was probably a Monday. Topics to be discussed today: The move, the Mentalist, Conference, confidentiality, cooking tips, and whatever else I feel like talking about. On we go!


Ah, yes, it's true. I'm officially relocated. All my whining and complaining actually paid off. (By the way, for a Loyal Subscriber's opinion of my situation, see what Sam Rimmasch had to say by visiting http://www.signsofthetimesnewsletter.blogspot.com/ and check out the comments for this Issue...) I am currently residing in apartment I-45 of Park Place, a lovely little place wherein I have a private room, am free to invite over, well, pretty much whoever I want because I'm not ashamed of my living quarters anymore, and live with a Mexican. It's a good place to be. As I moved out last Friday, nobody really seemed to mind as I made probably twenty or thirty trips up and down the stairs while everybody else sat there watching TV. I am not so shocked that they didn't offer to help me, but I thought that the fact I kept opening and closing the door so many times surely would have bothered them. Pretty much they declined to acknowledge my existence, but I didn't really mind. The sooner I could get out of there, the better, whether they thought I existed or not.

Moving into my new apartment was pretty painless. My new roommates are really nice kids. One is an RM that got back from Houston in July. The other four are freshmen. They love sports and are all in good standing with the Church, which is a nice change. One of them (my favorite) is from Mexico. He has lived here for like 15 years, but he speaks Spanish and apparently likes to cook... Heh heh heh... The boys are big Halo fans and have also invested a little bit of time and money into Guitar Hero. Actually, I've already been approached by the Mexican to see if I'll contribute to their buy-the-next-Guitar-Hero-game fund. BYU/Utah seems to be a sensitive subject in my new home. Luckily I'm impartial. I like both teams, but their fans drive me crazy. So... I'll cheer for both of them and avoid any unnecessary confrontations.

As alluded to, my neighbors are a little noisy and I had to turn Conference up several times to be able to hear it over Rock Band next door, but uh... seriously, it's college, so who cares. As long as they don't sleep on my couches, make a mess, drive away the Spirit, or touch my face, I'm fine with it. To make a long story short, it's a much better situation than my previous one. If anything else exciting happens, I'll be sure to let you know. (WINK!)


So I've been watching this new show, "The Mentalist." It's a pretty crazy show. Basically, here's the deal - Simon Baker (I don't care what his name is in the show... Simon Baker is a cool name) is a former "psychic" that has been hired by the California Bureau of Investigation as a consultant of sorts to help them solve crimes and, more importantly, to track down an infamous serial killer named Red John. Baker is emotionally involved with the Red John case because years ago, he did something to offend Red John and he (R.J.) murdered Baker's wife and daughter. The torment of that tragedy still haunts Baker, fueling his desire to avenge other killings. Anyway, Baker admits that he doesn't actually have psychic powers and that that ability doesn't even exist. He just pays attention. Thus, as the ofttimes bumbling CBI agents try to uncover clues, the mentalist uses his former skills to get inside the killers' minds, as well as putting himself in the victims' shoes. It's really quite interesting and gives viewers the urge to look for clues themselves. I constantly find myself looking closely at the screen, scanning the background for possible clues. It's not like I'm actually doing anything... I'm pretty sure I have no idea what Baker is doing until the end of the show, but if you remember several Issues ago when I talked about the movie "21," you'll remember that I felt like I didn't learn anything about counting cards. "The Mentalist" has thus far given me a much greater satisfaction, as far as acquired knowledge goes. I feel like I can actually understand how Baker gets from point A to point B, whereas in "21," I had no idea what they were doing throughout the entirety of the film. This is really the first crime investigation show I've ever been involved with. As such, some scenes are a little gory to me. It's nothing R-rated... just a little bit of blood and like... dead bodies... and stuff... which I guess is to be expected. However, I wouldn't reccommend it to anybody under, say, twelve or thirteen. If you've got time, check it out on CBS Tuesday nights at 7 or 8 PM.




Conference weekend... I loved it. It's kind of strange to me - and I'm not saying that people shouldn't like Conference, but it's kind of like the Jazz. A few years ago, nobody liked the Jazz. NOBODY! It was actually cool NOT to like the Jazz. Me and Austin were the only ones. This is true and I've covered the topic multiple times. I don't want to beat the dead horse, but I know tons of you will email me saying you have always loved the Jazz. Again, I ask you, if you've really liked the Jazz for that long, I dare you to tell me who any of these players are/were: Blue Edwards, Felton Spencer, Luther Wright, Jamie Watson. Uh huh. Next point. Does anybody remember a few years ago when nobody made a big deal about Conference? Don't get me wrong, I used to miss Saturday sessions and sleep through Sunday, too, but now it's like "the cool thing to do," isn't it? Everybody on Facebook changes their status to "So-and-so is feeling spiritually fed," "So-and-so thinks Elder Wirthlin is the cutest old man," "So-and-so has sunshine in their soul Conference weekend," and ridiculous things like that. As I said, I'm not discouraging people from watching Conference. Please! Watch! But... be a little less obnoxious about it, for Heaven's sake.


**QUESTION TIME!!**


Q. "Are you afraid your roommates will read your blog?"
- Ryan E. Goulding, MBA

A. Good question. No, I'm not. I never told them I write one. Plus, I stopped advertising it on Facebook every Tuesday, as I used to do. So... no. I'm not afraid. But thanks for asking.


Q. "Dear Aaron,
Sounds like you cooked some delicious breakfast for Conference on Sunday! That's the rumor on the street, anyway. Any truth to this? And, if so, can you supply some cooking tips?"
- Just Curious,
The Junior Mounties

A. (SALUTE!) I don't know how you do it, but you boys always seem to know my innermost thoughts... Yes, it's true! And it's funny you should ask - actually, Suzy Petersen asked just today for some cooking tips. (SALUTE!) You guys are incredible. Anyway, yes, I cooked a delicious meal of egg sandwiches and biscuits, prepared with some lovely Tampico Island Punch for the Sabbath. It was quite enjoyable and quite possibly the largest breakfast I have ever prepared without parental supervision. Impressive, huh? Well... As for cooking tips, I don't know if I'm the right person to ask. My cooking capacity consists of only a few scanty meals, including Ramen, pizzas of the frozen variety, the aforementioned egg sandwiches, microwavable goods, and Sister Wallis. I occasionally whip up the classic Macaroni and Cheese, but I'm reluctant to do that because it took me three tries to get it right the first time. The best advice I can give (and which frequently works in my personal experience) is to read and re-read the instructions about five times, make an educated guess, and hope to High Heaven that it doesn't burn. That's what I do, anyhow. Hopefully that helps.


Remember, you can submit your very own Questions to me by emailing tarheelglory19@yahoo.com - and in a recent development, some of your questions could even be used on the air on Tuesday nights in "City Council" w/ A-Town's brand new segment, "**QUESTION TIME!!**"


It's time once again for the Fantasy Football Superstar of the Week. This Time, it's got to be the free agent pick up of Week 5, the Aggies!!'s DeAngelo Hall, who rushed for 123 yards and 2 TD with 25 receiving yards for 1 TD, totalling 35 fantasy points. For a running back, that's not bad. Congratulations, Cody. You probably didn't even notice, did you. I'll trade you Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson for him if you want (wink wink).


The Shoutout of the Week this week goes to Vanessa Young, a new convert to "City Council" and a KAGE Match addict. It's good, isn't it? Really good. Maybe if you're lucky you'll win a dinosaur or a new house or something if you keep listening to my show.


Finally, a quesion that I've had many, many times and asked multiple times to others, but have never heard an adequate response: Why on Earth would you ever watch Tyra Banks' talk show? I used to joke that nobody cares what she has to say, but she is sure fun to look at, but she recently proved me wrong as I was flipping channels in my apartment. I watched for about thirty seconds as she blabbed on about women's hair and whether or not guys find it attractive, but her puke-green colored shawl and brown hat distracted my attention (or lack thereof), proving once and for all that Tyra Banks' talk show is a waste of time, money, and energy and that it should be abolished from television.


That's about it for this week. If you'll excuse me, I'm quite a busy man this evening... It's "Global Warming" in the KAGE Match tonight as Coldplay squares off against the KAGE Match second timers, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, in quite possibly the most evenly matched Match yet! Check it out, along with the updated KAGE website by visiting www.snow.edu/~kage tonight from 10PM - Midnight, Mountain Daylight Time.


Until next Time,

Move It! Sell It! And Leave the Door Open!

Aaron

1 comment:

Aaron said...

"Dear Signs of the Times,

In regard to your roommate problem(s), I say, 'Lucky.' I found myself in a situation much like your own. When I came home, I was the only one out of all my friends who was home. I was alone, but that was fine. I moved away from home, as I had before to Logan. When I arrived, I found that I was put with four USU football players - none were LDS. The difference was that they didn't hide what they did and they never acted as if they would leave missions for Mormon girls. Girls slept over every night, booze were around the apartment the whole week, except the day before games, but after the games... it was worse. The furniture and doors in our apartment started to vanish. Holes in the walls started to appear. I was fortunate enough to have a RM as my roommate. It didn't take long for me to report their infractions. Alas, management didn't do anything. They wouldn't even let me move, until one day. One of my roommates had a 'roidrage.' He lost control looking for his steroids (that the other roommates had taken.) It was pretty scary. Weeks before I had stopped using the front door and climbed up the side of the building to use my window as access (I lived on the 3rd floor.) The next day we just moved out. And that's my story.

P.S. My new roommtas were from the Dominican Republic and Cairo, Egypt. They both got expelled for drugs and alchohol in the room apartment...."

- Loyal Subscriber, Sam Rimmasch