Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Signs of the Times, Issue No. 125 - 10/05/10

He's feeling it!... but not this time...


Greetings to one and all. It's another Tuesday here in Sandy, Utah, and I'm proud to present the 125th Issue of "Signs of the Times." Welcome, everyone. Topics to be discussed today: The new podcast, the gutter ball of a lifetime, the girl that's ruining the planet single-handedly, Mr. Brittlebones, something that still haunts my dreams, a huge disappointment, and an amazing new TV show. On we go!


After weeks and weeks, hours and hours, I've got a podcast up and running. It's super ghetto at this point and may be relocated to a better website if possible (and affordable), but for now, you can download episodes of my radio show, "The House that A-Town Built" for free at www.atownpodcast.podbean.com. It's pretty self-explanatory, but if you need help figuring it out, let me know. I don't know a whole lot about podcasting at this point, so, like I said, it's extremely basic right now. With the free membership, I am currently only able to upload 30 MB of data at a time, so Episodes 4 and 5 have been split in half and need to be downloaded or listened to in two parts. Bigger episodes like Episode 6 may need to be divided into three segments. The A-Town Podcast will silence the qualms of several would-be A-Towners who have class, work, or are otherwise occupied from 9AM - noon on Fridays and are unable to catch the show live. Obviously, several things will be predetermined for podcasters, such as The K-UTE Clash, which will already be in the books, so they sadly won't get to participate. It's still awesome, though. After two days up and running, I already have two followers and hope to get a few more. I have submitted the podcast to the iTunes store and, once it gets approved, it should be available for free downloads and subscriptions through iTunes. These are exciting times for the A-Town Nation. Exciting times, indeed.


We wrapped up league bowling in the first half of our bowling class today. Looks like my team won't finish in first place. We'll probably end up in third. After starting the tournament off with a killer game, our team scores fluctuated throughout the past month, ranging from impressive to pathetic. Ugh... Disappointment is the only emotion I feel. Better luck with the next half-semester, Aaron.

Dang.

Speaking of my bowling class, it's time for The Boo Box. There are a couple TVs in the bowling alley which play an array of different music videos throughout the day. I don't know what the deal was, but today I think it played every single Miley Cyrus song imaginable. Seriously, there were at least four or five consecutive Miley songs. It messed up my bowling. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody that I hate, hate, hate Miss Cyrus, but I would occasionally glance up at the screen, partially from boredom and partially from coincidence. That is one dirty, dirty girl. How old is she, anyway? Sickening. I had gone months without seeing that abomination known as "Can't Be Tamed," though I had heard from others that it was "basically porno." I've seen it a couple times now and it's freaky. Freaky, dark, and weird. Almost evil, I would say. It's like Bird-Miley from Hell. I can't believe - and am almost offended that America continues to market Miley Cyrus to young women and girls. Everybody together now - BOOOOOO!!

Nothing says "trashy" quite like this girl.

So Carlos Boozer busted his hand last weekend. Oh man. I can't imagine what fans in Chicago are thinking right now. Oh wait... Yeah I can.


**QUESTION TIME!!**


---SURVIVOR SPOILER ALERT!!!---

Q. "Hey Aaron,
Did you cry yourself to sleep when Jimmy Johnson got voted off?"
- Whitney Metcalf

A. Honestly, no, I didn't. Jimmy J was surprisingly likable and I'm sad he's gone, but life goes on. However, there's still something that makes me cry myself to sleep almost a  decade and a half later. Here it is. I never thought I could buy anything with Kobe Bryant on it. That was, of course, until NBA 2K10 came out last year and I hiked up my proverbial skirt and dropped a Grant on it. I never thought it would get worse than that. That was, of course until I saw who was on the cover of NBA 2K11, which comes out today. Michael freakin' Jordan. That man ruined my life. What's worse is that there is a mode called "The Jordan Challenge," where you can control MJ, who typically refuses to be featured in video games, through several of his most historic accomplishments, like knocking down six threes in the first half of a game versus Portland. Undoubtedly, there will be two accomplishments players will have to go through against the Utah Jazz - his infamous "flu" game (I still don't think he was really sick) and the even more controversial push-off against Bryon Russell in his second retirement game. You know I'll go drop another fifty bucks to get this game, but asking me to play as Jordan and relive the worst moments of my young life? That's P.M.U.!! I dont' know if I'll be able to do it. Thanks for the Question, Whitney... and it's a good dang thing I had already seen "Survivor" when I read your message.

Words cannot express...

Q. "Dear Aaron,
Is it too much to ask to have two Boo Boxes in the same Issue?"
Just Curious,
- The Junior Mounties

A. Hmmm... I suppose not. (SALUTE!) It will make up for the two or three times I have neglected the Newsletter's most popular segment.


You asked for it; here it is - another Boo Box. Once again, I'm not caught up with "Dancing with the Stars" today due to some extra-curricular meetings I had last night, so I don't know how everyone did yesterday, but I have seen last week's episode. My pick to win it all, Brandy, sucked it up. Sorry children, but there's not a nice way to describe what I saw last week. She looked terrible! - and I even watch through my bias goggles, which typically helps me say, "Oh, it wasn't that bad. She did all right." Well not last week. She landed in the bottom three! Are you kidding me?!? Not only does it look like she's not giving 100% out there, but she's also a little BEEEEEEEEEEP backstage. I had the same problem with Nicole last season - I don't think being unlikable during practices helps out with viewer votes. I want people who are funny, exciting to watch, and genuinely good people. Brandy seems like a bratty drama queen. I'm not feeling good about this pick. In my defense, this whole cast is cruddy and nobody stood out as a clear-cut winner. (Did I really say I could potentially see Michael Bolton in the finals? Holy crap, he was pathetic.) If I could have voted after seeing one episode (which would have helped by leaps and bounds), I would have picked that chick Audrina from "The Hills." I still don't really even know who she is, but she's pretty good. It's looking like Jennifer Gray will win. She's not that good, but she's with Derek Hough, who I hate. Bristol Palin is this year's Kate Gosselin - horrible dancer, but good to keep around for ratings. The more I watch this show, the more rigged it seems. This could be the last time I ever predict anything. It's just too dang disappointing. I'll stick with Brandy, unfortunately, but she's really gotta pick it up if she even wants to make it into the top five or six. Maybe this will help motivate her. Everybody together now - BOOOOOO!!

COME ON, you pansy!

General Conference was good, as usual. The thing I may have enjoyed the most was the reaction by BYU haters the world around after Priesthood Session when President Uchtdorf asked sports fans to be more humane in their dislike for opposing teams and fans. I'm not saying that I'm perfect or that I don't need to take heed to his counsel - in my opinion, I'm actually pretty dang nice to BYU's athletic department. My mom is a big fan of BYU, so I can't be too anti-BYU if I still want free room and board, but seriously... that was some classic stuff, considering all the smack talk on Facebook after Utah State's gigantic beatdown of the Cougars on Friday night. This also means that Austin can't be so prideful of the fact that he almost doubled my score in Fantasy Football this week. It's not my fault. Michael Vick got hurt and Yahoo! unexpectedly benched one of my team defenses. I have officially declared this season as a "rebuilding year" for my currently-sixth-place team. Really - there is one guy in our league who doesn't even check his team. Half of his players had byes and he has Austin Collie on his bench - and I only scored like 15 more points than him this week. It's embarrassing.


Speaking of Fantasy Football, as much as it pains me to do, I have to award another Game Ball to my arch-nemesis, Austin's Christensen Crush. He just destroys everybody every single week. It's hard to watch. This week, another one of his players went off for a monster day as Terrell Owens had 10 receptions for 222 yards receiving and a TD for 60.20 fantasy points. At this pace, all of Austin's players would have to have bye weeks next week and half of them would have to have another bye the week after that for me to catch him. *pounds self in forehead*

He cried when I gave him this prestigious award.

In This Week in Review, I would like to discuss Discovery Channel's "The Colony." Little known show. In fact, I had only heard a thing or two about the show, but never got into it until last week. I watched all of season one in three days, which wasn't too difficult since it's only 10 episodes. The premise of the show is that 10 volunteers are taken to live in post-apocalyptic circumstances to see if they can rebuild a civilization. The project is 10 weeks long, which is twice as long as "Survivor," and this is real reality TV. No challenges, no rewards, just 10 people struggling to survive with nothing but a hidden crate of brand new, unopened power tools. It's really intriguing stuff that drew me in from the first episode. Starvation, sleep deprivation, unexpected flooding, disappearances, and violent attacks from a group of hostiles. I almost couldn't stop watching. That's a 9.5 out of 10, ladies and gents. Can't wait to check out season two.


The Shoutout of the Week goes to............................ Jason Moffat. Loyal Subscriber and one of the coolest people ever. Enjoy it, my man. Enjoy this moment.


That's about it for this week. Uh... Time to go do everything I didn't do yesterday, I guess. Check out my podcast.


Until next Time,

Move It. Sell It. And Leave the Door Open.

Aaron

No comments: