He woke up the next morning and it was all a dream.
Greetings to one and all. This is Aaron and today is Tuesday. Topics to be discussed today: My final thoughts about the NBA season, freedom of speech, the end of The End, my proposed immigration law, where you can go stick your spoilers, and the final push for The Big Ticket. On we go!
Of course, the number one thing on my list of topics is the disappointing beating the Jazz took last night. If you've been hiding under a rock or something, the Jazz were swept out of the NBA playoffs by the Los Angeles Lakers last night. Where to begin? Where to begin?... Well, I went to Game Three on Saturday night. I figured that if there was one game the Jazz could possibly win, it would be that one, so I thought it a wise investment. Honestly, it was probably one of the best basketball games I've seen in my life, but the Jazz came up just short - a Wes Matthews' tip at the buzzer came about half an inch from victory. It was heartbreaking to watch. I hate watching the Jazz lose in the first place, but watching them lose to the Lakers at home for my first-ever playoff game was a killer, not to mention the hundreds of "Lakers fans" that were there. My friend called it "the walk of shame" as we were leaving EnergySolutions Arena. Lakers fans are the worst. They're absurdly obnoxious and aren't even real fans. These same people will all be Knicks fans next year when LeBron leaves Cleveland. Just watch. But it's like, "What can I do to stick out and be different in Utah? I want to be noticed! Oh, I know! I'll go inactive in church, pierce my ears, swear... and... hey, I'll cheer for the Lakers." I was shocked at how many boos I could hear as the Jazz were shooting free throws. It's a home game, for crying out loud! People were chanting "M-V-P" for Kobe, which is ridiculous on so many levels. (Um, hello, people?? LEBRON is the MVP. It's a fact. He got the award last week.) My friend asked if the "Lakers fans" understood that you're supposed to take off your shoes when you're a guest in somebody else's house, then added that they should all take off their jerseys. Another thing that has really bothered me for years is the anti-Utah bias in broadcasting. Everything the Jazz did right was attributed as a slip-up for Los Angeles. The Jazz never get credit for ANYTHING. We weren't even supposed to make it out of the first round. But we did - without two former All-Star starters! The second round was referred to as an "intermission" for Kobe and company, but we played them tight in the first three games. So it sickens me to hear how the broadcasters talk about the Jazz. I'm not done yet, but I've got to pause for the next segment.
The Boo Box. Reggie Miller, shut your mouth. Last night, Reggie Miller, TNT broadcaster and former Indiana Pacer, called Jazz fans "ignorant" for booing Derek Fisher, the Lakers' point guard who spent a short stint in Utah a couple years ago. I was on my mission for the Derek Fisher saga, but I heard all about it. Fisher came to the Jazz and people loved him. He was a good player and a hard worker and really contributed a lot to the team. During his stay here, his daughter developed eye cancer, for which he had to travel to New York on several occasions. At the end of the season, Fisher approached the franchise and explained that he would need to leave the team to seek better medical care. It was only a matter of time before Fisher had re-signed with the Lakers. That's horrible. Like I said, I missed all of this, but that's a low blow. It reminds me of Ken Griffey, Jr., who was my favorite baseball player when I was younger. He pulled the "I-want-to-be-closer-to-my-family-in-Orlando" move and was playing for Cincinnati the next season. That makes a lot of sense. Anyway, last night, Reggie Miller said that fans were out of line for consistently booing Fisher during free throws and substitutions, and nearly every time he touched the ball. What are we supposed to do? Cheer for him? NO! I booed him. I'll continue to boo him. He came over here, learned our playbook, learned how we like to run our offense, and went back to the enemy. So Derek Fisher; Los Angeles Lakers; poser, bandwagon "Lakers fans," I've got one word for you. Everybody together now - BOOOOOO!! And as for Reggie Miller, *#&$@(*@ $*&@#$. Anybody who thinks Los Angeles is anywhere geographically close to New York is in no position to be throwing stones.
So now the Jazz are done and my interest in the NBA playoffs significantly plummets. Once the Jazz are out, I don't really care. There is no reason for me to be staying up late and putting things on hold so I can watch two teams I don't even like. I hate the NBA and there is a huge part of me that is really glad that our season is over. As soon as last night's blowout was over, I turned the TV off and my mom and I sat there in a profound silence. We had a lot of great memories watching the Jazz this season. It was a lot of fun and we played really well for the majority of the year. But it all came crashing down with the first sweep since 1989 and the first ever sweep of the Jazz in a seven-game series. But now it's over. Nothing for me to worry about. No more unnecessary stress. I don't plan on watching any more basketball until Halloween, unless the Lakers are getting blown away by somebody. Then I might watch for a little bit. Because a Lakers loss is almost as good as a Jazz win. Almost.
**QUESTION TIME!!**
Q1. "Should Carlos stay or should he go now?
Q2. According to an ex-NBA player, he wouldn't want to fight Jerry Sloan. Who wouldn't you want to fight and why?
Q3. Is there always a 'next year'?"
Just sign me,
- Inquiring Minds Want to Know
A1. Yes, Carlos Boozer should stay. I think he'd be crazy to leave. He had a great year and should have been an all-star. Here in Utah, he's got a pick-and-roll system that is designed around the power forward and, with Memo being out, we'll be even more dependent on him. I love Boozer. He's a big bald guy that likes to yell. Stay, Carlos!
A2. I would not want to fight William Shatner. He's old, but he's crazy.
A3. Well... for right now, there still is a next year. But once 2011 hits, there might not be, according to the Mayans. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Q. "Dear Aaron,
What do you think about the students at the University of Utah newspaper? Do you think that freedom of the press allows them to do whatever they want to do?"
- Ann Goulding
A. For those of you who haven't heard, the University of Utah is in some hot water from a little stunt the student newspaper tried to pull for their last edition of the year. I haven't seen it, but I guess that if you take the first letter of each article, it spells out something naughty. The university put a few students' (including the editor-in-chief) academic records on hold for graduation and they were facing possible disciplinary action when I last heard. I think what the students did was out of line. There are lots of other harmless pranks you can pull, but I think that what they did was inappropriate. It brought a lot of negative attention to the paper and the school that could have been easily avoided. As far as disciplinary action goes, I'm ok with it. When people do stupid things, they often forget that there are consequences for every action and this time it came around to bite them in the rear. Freedom of speech allows you to say whatever you want, but when you put other people or institutions in a tough spot, sometimes you'll end up wishing you had just kept your trap shut.
Q. "Dear Aaron,
What the heck happened to 101.9 The End? I mean, I survived the transition from 107.5 The End to this, but what gives??? I know you have a special place in your heart for X96, and luckily we have Orem High's alternative rock station (97.1 here in Utah County), but FOR THE LOVE, who on Earth fits in the demographic of the kind of person that would want to listen to that crap? Why have they murdered my favorite radio station?"
That is all. See you soon, buddy.
- Jon Davis
A. Oh, this is bad, bad news for A-Town. Once again, if you weren't aware, a once-popular radio station here in Utah recently laid off all its on-air personalities in favor of an entirely computer-automated playlist. I found out the news a couple weeks ago by tuning in to my old chums at RFH on X96 and they were pretty upset about it, too, despite their hatred for 101.9's DJ, Chunga. It's not good news for the future of radio. If this is the way they want to go, why not just buy everyone an iPod? This is why when I was down at Snow I stressed the importance of being a good DJ - because if there are good DJs, they'll want to keep them. If you're boring and all you do is report the weather and the traffic, there's no need for you. Computers can do that for free. This will be something for me to keep in mind as I start work up at K-UTE at the U and as I continue thinking about a career path. As far as 101.9's new music selection ("music for Generation X), I had totally forgotten about how much crappy hip hop existed back in the '90s.
Q. "Dear Aaron,
What are your thoughts regarding the new immigration laws in Arizona?"
Just Curious,
Just Curious,
- The Junior Mounties
A. Many of you may not know this, but I'm in favor of immigration. I love all my illegal friends. Serving an LDS mission to work with Hispanics in the United States, I have a bit of a different perspective than most of you, I assume. I'd guess that probably 85-90% of the people I worked with for two years were illegal. I'd also estimate that 85-90% of the people I worked with are absolutely amazing people. But since a few of my readers are big into politics, I won't go on. I would, however, like to bring up a new proposition. I've come up with a new law for the state of Utah which would allow the government to deport anyone suspected of being a Lakers fan.
As always, you can submit your Questions to me via email or though the blog site.
Speaking of the blog site, perhaps you've heard about the recent renovations that have taken place. It should be no surprise to you that I hate spoilers for my TV shows. I don't like knowing what's going to happen before it happens. I've created "No Spoiler Thursday" to counteract all the bozos out there that tell me that four major cast members were killed off in last week's episode of "LOST." Sickening. An unfortunate side effect of being a major opponent of spoiler posters is that I would feel hypocritical if I spoke too openly about TV shows in my Newsletter. This is all done from the bottom of my loving heart out of consideration for you people, I assure you. What I've done is that I have added four additional pages to the blog site. We'll call it "Spoilers of the Times" or SpotT, for short. At the top of the blog site, underneath the main banner, you'll see a couple new links - "Home (SotT)," "LOST Spoilers," "Survivor Spoilers," "DWTS (Dancing with the Stars) Spoilers," and "Flash Forward Spoilers." This way, I'll be able to vent about how I think Frank the Tank isn't really dead without bothering any of you. I'll be able to praise the man, the myth, the legend of "Survivor"'s Russell Hantz without giving away the ending to the last two (amazing) Tribal Councils. I can celebrate Evan Lysacek getting the first perfect score of the season without ruining it for my mom. If you're interested, go ahead and check it out. Post your comments. I'd love to hear what you have to say. If you're not caught up or if you just don't care, I won't waste your time. I'm having fun with it so far, so we'll see how it goes from here.
The Facebook Fan Page of the Week is brought to you by one of my friends that I should probably unfriend immediately. Apparently there is an "I Hate Tuesdays Club." That's P.M.U.
We talked to Austin on Sunday. He's doing really well. He comes back in less than three months. Holy freak.
And finally, what will I do now that I'm done with school? First of all, it looks like I'll be making another trip to the dentist in about 45 minutes. I went in yesterday to fix a tooth I chipped by biting a fork, but now I can't bite down all the way with that tooth, so they're going to fix it up for me. Should be quick and easy. They love me there. Every time I go in, I just whine about the Jazz the whole time. Other than that, it looks like I've got two and a half weeks to finish up "The Big Ticket 2." After probably a month without progress or changes, I started working on it again last week. We'll be filming a little more down in Provo sometime and have got a couple more things to do up here in Sandy and Salt Lake City. I'd really like to finish it before I start EFY at the end of the month. It's obviously not that big of a deal, but it's something we've been wanting to do for almost two years now. We're more than halfway done and it would be a shame to scrap it all now. If you're interested in being an extra in the movie, let me know as soon as possible. The next two weekends will be big for us and we need some people to help us out. We're still hoping to have a world premiere party as soon as we finish filming and editing.
The Shoutout of the Week goes to Kristin Manning. I can't remember when the last time was that she got a Shoutout, but I think she deserves one this week. Unfortunately they got rid of the "Top Followers" application on Facebook a little while ago, but I'm pretty sure that if it still existed, Kristin would be number one. Rock Band party soon. I'm serious.
Until next Time,
Move It. Sell It. And Leave the Door Open.
Aaron





No comments:
Post a Comment