Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Signs of the Times, Issue No. 98 - 03/23/10


Well I'm as free as a bird now...


Greetings to one and all and it's bright and early on a Tuesday morning. We're getting this sucker done quick today and do you want to know why? Because it's Spring Break, baby! Things to be discussed today: A more efficient job; breaking the rules; March Madness; my hopes that Derek Hough chokes; my Spring Break plans; the delectable taste of ice cream sundaes with ripe, luscious, red cherries and drizzled with the richest dark chocolate from the Italian shores; and um... more crazy dreams. On we go!


It looks like I've made it another week without being fired. However, one of my co-workers quit last week for some unknown reason. I guess he just stopped showing up for work. Interesting. I could take his hours, but that's not going to happen. There are only 58 days left in the Costa Vida Countdown (when I was originally planning on quitting), but I'm not sure I'll last that long. This is the third week in a row that I've only worked four and a half hours and that's not Good for the starving college student. I just put it this way - it's gas money, at least, and it's better than nothing. Hey - I've got Spring Break off and I won't have to worry About asking for next weekend off for my mission reunion and General Conference, so I guess that's kind of nice. Kind of.

Perhaps you remember that I won a banjo a little over a year ago when I was working at GuitarCenter.com. I can't play, so I took some pictures of it back in the summer of '08 and have just carried it around with me since then. I finally decided to try to sell it over the weekend and was able to sell it within 24 hours. I sold it to some other guy who also doesn't know how to play for $150. That's like a month of work the way things are going right now. That's a sweet deal. I bought a new iPod that is currently in Hong Kong, I guess. As you probably guessed, I've already been going through my closet looking for other stuff I can sell. Who needs a job?

Music to my ears.

The sweepstakes for my next big date are still going on. Yes, I'm expressly violating that ridiculous advice from that anonymous commenter, namely, it's either going to be a Jazz game or a concert, but there are still no takers. Maybe she was right. Maybe this just isn't a Good idea for a date. Oh well. I'm going to do it anyway. If I can't find a date, I'll seriously just take a guy or one of my siblings... because, let's face it, if you don't want to go to a Jazz game or a concert for freeThat's P.M.U.

"PLEASE!! ANYTHING BUT THAT!!"

You've gotta love the flirting that goes on on Facebook. Like I've said all along, I love Facebook, but it has seriously messed up people's communication habits. For instance, take certain fan pages that all these girls are joining... like "talk to you all night, die from lack of sleep the next day..worth every minute." Why don't you just go tell your little crush the next day, "I'm dying from lack of sleep, but I really liked talking to you last night"? Oh - it's because you're not 16 yet and can't date, so that would just make things awkward... which provokes the Question, if you're not 16 yet, what are you doing on the phone all night long? Are your parents out of town or something?

Ok, so that fan page wasn't really that funny, but this one is! This is submitted by Andrea Chapman, a long-Time Subscriber. She writes:
"Taken with exact punctuation. 'Dancing away in your room.. someone walks in ! oh the embarrassment !'"
Classic. Apparently they don't have locks on the doorknobs in Taiwan yet.

"Mom! Didn't I tell you to knock??"

They call it March Madness for a reason. And that reason is that everyone is losing to my little brother, Cody. Cody and I were neck-and-neck after the first round of the NCAA tournament, but with several major losses early on, such as Georgetown (I had them in the Elite Eight) and Villanova (Final Four), things went downhill fast. At this point, I only have eight of my Sweet Sixteen, four of my Elite Eight, two of my Final Four, and one of my championship teams left. Luckily, I didn't have Kansas winning it all like pretty much everyone else did, other than Cody, so it was nice to see them go down, but then I lost Maryland, who I predicted would get second place. I sitting at 30 correct picks out of 48 games, which, considering all things, isn't too bad, but Cody is six games ahead of me right now and he's really in the driver's seat this year. The only way anybody can beat him is if Kentucky wins the championship, even if Cody's champion, Ohio State, makes it to the finals. So that's what I'm banking on... I need Kentucky to win. Cody's being a punk. In fact, my dad started another pool for "second chance brackets," starting with the Sweet Sixteen. Its name? "No Cody." Believe it or not, I'd even take losing to my mom over losing to Cody.

Even this kid has seen enough. Rip up that bracket, son!

**QUESTION TIME!!**


Q. "Dear A-Town,
After the 1st week of 'DwtS,' how are your predictions holding up?"
- Your mother

A. Mom, I thought you weren't going to tell everyone that I'm a closet 'DwtS' watcher! But whatever. I'm watching "Dancing with the Stars." Don't judge me. It's your fault, after all. Once you're emotionally invested in something, you might as well embrace it, you know? It was the season premiere last night and I'm just a couple dancers in so far. I'd get my trash kicked on that show. In my swing dance class, we just finished up with the Lindy Hop, which was pretty fun. I'm a pro at the Charleston. But even Jake the Bachelor, who says he's a horrible dancer, looks Good to me. I'd get destroyed. Here's a fun little story for you peeps, since I haven't had a whole lot in the comedy department this semester, unlike last semester, which was out of control. I got on TRAX on Thursday and saw that my swing dance teacher was in the same car as me. That wasn't too bad, but then I saw that her sister was also on the train. I dated her sister for three months until my brother told her not to anymore. You think I'm joking. I was hoping she wouldn't be in our class with me, but when I got there, she was there, too. Not Good news, considering that a few of the girls in the class know that I dated her. I really didn't want to dance with her... because that would be awkward for me, you know? Luckily (did I just say that?), I got stuck with one of my cute little Korean friends for About half an hour, which was detrimental to my dancing ability, but wasn't the worst thing that could have happened. It was one of those days when we have an equal number of guys and girls. That doesn't happen very often, so imagine my horror as my little Korean friend had to leave class five minutes early. I didn't have a partner and needed somebody to dance with. So we danced. It was short, but it was weird. She's married now, so I'm sure it wasn't awkward for her, but it was pretty weird. Lots of "So... how have you been?"s and rubbish like that. Luckily, it was only five minutes. Hopefully we don't have to go through that again. But anyway, to answer your Question, so far, my "DwtS" predictions are looking pretty Good. Evan Lysacek scored 23 out of 30 and Nicole from PCD with that bozo, Derek Hough, scored 25 out of 30. Those two scare me. Derek could dance with a bucket of raw fish and ladies would still vote for him. Not Good. Come on, Evan, make me proud!

Come on, Tom. Pull some strings. I want Derek OUT!

Q. "Dear Aaron,
Who is Kate Gosselin and why does anybody care?"
Just Curious,
- The Junior Mounties

A. I've been asking myself the same Question for months. (SALUTE!)


Q. "Hey A-Town,
Any plans for Spring Break?"
Love,
- The Fan Club

A. It's been a while since I heard from you guys. Nice to hear from you again and thanks for asking. Uh... maybe some skiing, by the looks of it. But seriously, um... I'll be headed down to Ephraim on Thursday since I got snowed in a couple weeks ago and wasn't able to go. Then Friday and Saturday I'll be in Provo for EFY training and perhaps a little bit of "The Big Ticket 2" filming. If you're interested, let me know.


As always, you can submit your Questions via email, Facebook, or by commenting on the blog site.


Do you know what I really hate? I've heard it a couple Times lately, so I thought I'd mention it. I hate, hate, hate when people go into detail describing food. I just think it sounds sick and it bothers me. I was at the gas station the other day and there was some commercial for a restaurant that came on. The guy kept going on and on describing what his food tasted like. It went on for like thirty seconds and then he started describing what his wife ordered, too. "Succulent, juicy, fall-off-the-bone sirloin..." Oh gosh. Gag me. "A salad with hand-tossed lettuce and fresh-from-scratch, made-that-day balsamic vinegar dressing that was fit for a queen in southwest France..." Are you kidding me?? There is an Arby's commercial right now that's running on TV that I also hate. Something About how the roast beef is "laser-thin" and it's like you've got x-ray vision when you look at it or something. Another one compliments the tight spiral of the curly fries. Do people really think About this crap while they're eating? I just can't do it. I'm sorry. So if you're in the habit of describing your food in such an elegant manner that you should be on a cooking show, I've got one word for you. Everybody together now - BOOOOOO!!

Zesty.

The Shoutout of the Week goes to Federico Rodriguez. He is living proof that liberals on conservatives can be friends, no matter what healthcare in America is like. We're going to get an apartment sometime and be roommates with Richard Alpert.


And finally, it's Time to discuss my crazy dreams. Two nights ago, I had a dream that a fellow Building Counselor and I were late for orientation on the first day of EFY. We had gotten lost and were supposed to be performing a dance on stage for everyone to see. We were running through a lot of backstage areas and finally made it to the stage. All I remember is that people were going crazy for us and I fell down at some point. That was the end of that dream. Last night, I had two interesting dreams. The first one involved an old mission friend, Adam Wicker. I had a bag of gummy bears and I didn't want to share with him. He eventually found out that I had them and he opened the bag. I wanted to eat them, so I had him go probably 15 feet away from me in a forest and start throwing them to me so I could try to catch them in my mouth. The dream continued in the basement of one of the houses my family had been looking at before we moved into the house we're in right now. There were so many gummy bears in my mouth at one point that it was getting uncomfortable. And in the last crazy dream, last night I dreamed that I was going into a fight in Wrestlemania. I was accompanied to the ring by Hulk Hogan and Scott Hall (Google him). That was a big deal for a former pro wrestling fan like myself. I would be fighting three women in this match. Barefooted. The match never started in the dream. I just remember that all the women I would be fighting were putting on lots of makeup before the bell rang. I have the best dreams ever. Sometimes I just don't want to wake up, you know?

This could have been me. "WOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

That's About it for this week. Quick and easy. That's how we do it here at "Signs of the Times." Quick and easy.


Until next Time,

Move It. Sell It. And Leave the Door Open.

Aaron

No comments: