Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Signs of the Times, Issue No. 63 - 07/21/09


Still bored?




Greetings to one and all from Sandy, Utah. It's the triumphant return of "Signs of the Times!" Yes, it has been a while since you've gotten a full-fledged Issue of the Newsletter and I apologize from the bottom of my loving heart. However, I'm not really that sorry about anything because it was a great experience and it was all for a good cause. I'll explain later. Topics to be discussed today: The EFY Adventure; hopeless, bleak despair; readers' responses; crimes against fashion; and Tuesday's mounting popularity. On we go!




For those of you that may not know and have been hiding under a rock and not checking your inboxes for the last two months, I haven't been here for six out of the last seven weeks. I've been able to update you with short Newsletters twice, I think, since that point, but other than that, I've been pretty much M.I.A. That's right - I've been down in Provo for a month and a half working with the kids attending Especially For Youth (EFY), a summer camp for Church kids. Though some may question my employment with EFY, I, for one, am very grateful for the time I spent there. The pay isn't ideal, but heck, something - anything - is better than nothing, which was what I was earning at the time. EFY gave me an opportunity to make a ton of new friends. In fact, working at EFY got me 187 new friends on Facebook, give or take a few. I worked two weeks with 14-15-year-olds and four weeks with 16-18-year-olds and I love those kids! I also met a lot of the counselors, who have become great friends to me and provided kindness and support for me in difficult situations. For example, take Spencer Fields, who made me two cards and brought me a box of chocolates when a certain someone did a certain something (refer to Issue No. 62 for more). Speaking of which, I am SO glad that I was at EFY when that happened! It kept me busy and didn't give me much time to sulk and be depressed. I got over the little fiasco in a matter of hours, honestly and rarely think about it to this day. That week was very eye opening for me. It really kind of put things in perspective, I guess. Follow me.


When you want good dating advice, there are two places I'd recommend that you go to. First, "The Jake 'n Dave Show." Pure genius. In fact, I spoke with both of them on the night that everything went down. They gave me some great advice - It's like I had a beautiful tree in my yard. I'd spent time with the tree and watched it grow. Suddenly, the tree got ripped out of the ground, leaving a giant hole. I then had two options - stare at the hole and wish the tree would come back or fill the whole with something better. They explained it a lot better than I just did, but that advice has really helped me with this whole situation.


And secondly, if you need dating advice, go to EFY. The teachers there had some fantastic lessons about dating for the youth and I found much of what they said very applicable to my life, as well. I learned what kind of a person I want to be right now in my life and I also had a chance to re-evaluate the people I want to date. It's not that this last girl wasn't a good girl or anything. She was great. I'm just talking about who I want to be dating and spending my time with in the future. Very eye opening, like I said, but it's kind of one of those you-had-to-be-there kinds of things. In this case, you just had to be me, I suppose.


EFY converted me to the fine art of fast dancing. I have never been an enormous fan of shaking it on the dance floor, but I learned a thing or two, put a few new tricks in my bag, and busted some moves during those six weeks in Utah County. I am thrilled to announce that "The Dance," a a series of short, choreographed moves as developed mainly by my brother Austin in high school, has been slightly modified, tweaked, and lengthened to accommodate the song "I Don't Wanna Be in Love (Dance Floor Anthem)" by Good Charlotte. Said dance burst into the spotlight of Especially For Youth during Session 5 and eventually reached its current and most popular state during Session 8. When all was said and done, upwards of thirty people were simultaneously dancing "The Dance" in Provo last Tuesday and Friday nights and some critics have called it "the best dance ever." I believe that's a direct quote. So yes. EFY has helped me loosen up in certain social settings, which has been nice... and made for some interesting dates...




...Speaking of which, I've just been handed an envelove. Let's see what it has inside.




**QUESTION TIME!!**




Q. "Dear Aaron,
Is there any hope at all for us single guys?"
- A Loyal Subscriber


A. No, I didn't make this Question up. This is a real Subscriber of the Loyalest variety and his inquiry is a serious one. For a while there, Subscriber, I thought I was doomed to utter destruction and hopeless despair. However, with a little exerted effort, I've managed two dates these past two weekends involving two different girls with a third date and a third young woman on the horizon for this Saturday. The dates have been great - Lots of talking and communication with little financial impact on the wallet. Little to no commitment, which has been nice, as well - there's nothing wrong with going on a date as "friends." Being back on the market, so to speak, has been fun so far. Will I be getting engaged any time in the next six or seven days? Not likely, but, I mean, I've heard of crazier things happening... (WINK!) Hang in there, Subscriber! If you need something to do on a weekend, let me know. We should go out on the prowl... or something...




Q. "Dear Aaron,
That last Newsletter was a real tear jerker! What has the response been like?"
Just Curious,
- The Junior Mounties


A. (SALUTE!) Generally speaking, the feedback I've gotten has been positive. I'm really appreciative to everyone who sent an email or called to see how I was doing. Issue No. 62 received an almost unprecedented nine email responses and four comments on the Blog Site. Additionally, seven people responded to the poll question on the Blog Site, which asked, "What do you think about that story?" Thankfully, only one of the seven respondants said that I was a jerk. The majority felt that I handled the situation appropriately. Ah... It just makes me so happy when I know that people are actually read my Newsletter. Sniff, sniff...




If you have Questions or feedback that you'd like to express, contact Aaron at tarheelglory19@yahoo.com or via some other manner commonly accepted in the United States of America.




It's time once again for The Boo Box! It's been a while since we've gotten our frustrations out, hasn't it? This week, what shall we Boo? How about this - If there was ever one thing that bothered me at EFY it was kids that came to EFY pretending to be somebody else, essentially creating characters for themselves so they didn't have to act like normal people. Now, if you normally wear suspenders and children's sunglasses, that's fine. Don't get me wrong - I had a kid my last week who wore color coordinated sunglasses almost every day - so if that's who you really are, good for you. But if you act like that for one week and then transform back into a shy kid that lacks personality on Saturday, I disapprove. Take, for instance, two girls during one session that called themselves "Rafiki" and "Pumba." I asked them again for their real names and they replied that those were their real names. Odd, I thought. They spent most of their time making beaded bracelets, apparently, judging by the countless arts and crafts projects that dangled from their arms. They also wore super baggy clothing, which resembled fashion from the '80s, but that's not legit because they weren't even BORN in the '80s. Another thing I don't understand is the weird sense of style that kids are trying to bring back. What's with all the girls that are wearing those hippie headbands on the outside of their hair? Not attractive, ladies. Guys in v-necks... I don't get it. Never in my life have I ever heard of modesty problems involving low-cut shirts... on GUYS! What is going on? Just another Sign of the Times... Everybody together now - BOOOOOO!!




Holy crap, it Feels so Good to do that again! It's been far too long.




It's time for the Shoutout of the Week. This week, let's say hello to two of our newest Subscribers, Ariel McCown and Juls Clinger. I dare say that these ladies are quite possibly two of the coolest on the planet. I wish I got a Shoutout my first week! Lucky ladies! Congratulations to both of you and good luck with your future endeavors.




For those of you that are interested, there is a "Feel Good About Yourself Tuesday" group on Facebook. I am pleased to announce that today, as of 6:15 PM in the Mountain West, the group has experienced tremendous growth. Twenty new members joined the group and a delightful conversation about tacos was held on the group wall. Oh my. Tuesdays are great.




That's about it for this week. If you'll excuse me, I've got some lovely dinner waiting for me. See you next Tuesday.




Until next Time,


Move It! Sell It! And Leave the Door Open!


Aaron

No comments: