Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Signs of the Times, Issue No. 225 - 09/11/12

God bless America, my home sweet home.


Greetings to one and all. It's a big Tuesday for everyone today and we've got plenty to talk about. Topics to be discussed today: One giant reason for EVERYONE to Feel Good About Themselves and it's RIVALRY TUESDAY! On we go!


Today, we start off the blog with the Shoutout of the Week - and one of the longest-standing rivalries of all time: America vs Terrorism. There I was, 11 years ago today, walking around the math classrooms (of all places, seriously?), when I saw a big, burning building on the TV. It was some big office building in New York. That was weird, I thought. My parents had just flown back from New York City a couple days earlier. Did somebody's paperwork catch on fire? I didn't really understand what had happened at the time. The bell rang and we started classes like we would have any other day. Eventually the news came that a second plane had crashed. Then came the other attacks. Again, at the time, I think I had no solid understanding of what was going on. I'm not sure any kids my age really understood the gravity of those events at the time. We were at war, I supposed, but... what did that even mean? I was going to have to go fight the Arabs? I didn't have any weapons. As the day went on, I was a little upset at my teachers - and, looking back on it, I'm even more upset with them now - because they wouldn't let us keep the TV on in the classroom. Some of my teachers would let us turn on the news "once we got through the lesson," but that only ended up being for five, maybe ten minutes at the very end of class. In retrospect, that wasn't P.M.U.!!, that was R.M.U.!! What could I possibly have learned that day in class that would be of greater significance to me than American history - WORLD history - in the making? Anyway, here we are, over a decade later. Are we a safer country? I think so. I hope so. Are we a stronger country? Yes, I'd say so. I'm thankful today for those who have died to serve and protect this country and I'm proud to be an American, dang it. It makes me want to break out in song. And I'll gladly stand up next to-next to you, if you know what I mean. God bless the United States of America, the greatest country in the world! [Editor's note: This is the third year since 2001 that September the 11th has fallen on a Tuesday. This is the first time I have blogged on 9/11, as the eleventh fell on a Tuesday in 2007, but I was on my mission. What an absolute honor it was to blog on this special day. Another interesting fact: September 11, 2001 was also a Tuesday.]


A picture I took at Sandy's "Healing Field" this afternoon.

A-Town vs the Alarm Clock
One of the great rivalries in the Christensen home takes place from between 5:47 and 6:15 every morning. I would argue that one of the worst inventions of all time was the CD player/alarm clock. Why, you ask? Well, because from the moment I am musically awakened each morning at 5:47, I say to myself, "Hmm... this is a good song. I'll get up after this song." Then, four minutes later when another song comes on, I say, "I like this song, too. Just a couple more minutes." So on, so forth, etc., etc. It's terrible. Then I wake up too late and have to book it up to the shower and out the door with nary a breakfast. But hey, as my co-workers can attest by my various attempts at facial hair and my plethora of fashionable hats, I'll do anything to get myself a couple extra minutes of sleep.


NBC's hit show, "The Voice," started up again last night, which renews the most highly-publicized rivalry in all of reality television: Christina Aguilera vs Modesty.

A-Town vs Large Groups
I don't like large groups. I think the main thing is that I just hate having to compete for attention. If I'm around a bunch of jackwagons that want to act like four-year-olds to get the ladies to notice them, I'm totally fine taking a back seat and keeping my mouth shut. Sadly, this has been to the detriment of my social life, as I'm currently 25, living at home, and without any life-long friends living within a 30-mile radius. So, believe it or not, I will occasionally venture out of my Bachelor Cave in a feeble attempt to meet new people. Upon arriving, I generally have observed that it's a bunch of Barbies surrounded by four-year-olds, so I will sometimes show up and grab a cookie for the long road back home. Such was not the case this past weekend, though - I was a little party animal! I figured that I desperately need to start meeting some new people - and I can't very well do that whilst sitting at home playing one-player Rock Band. Thus, on Saturday night, I went to this church function for all people 25 or older in my stake and that was weird. I had to get my ID checked at the door to prove I was old enough and everyone in there had walkers and wrinkles and was talking about their cats and stuff. It was weird. But I had fun.

I'd like to focus on Friday night, though. On Friday night, I went to an institute activity for people 18 and up. (Needless to say, there was more drama and less wrinkles on Friday night.) I went alone on Friday night, hoping to meet up with a buddy from my ward, but he didn't end up arriving until I was about ready to leave. That's always the worst. Walking around, pretending like you know people or that somebody is constantly texting you. What a drag. But... there was one girl in particular that I saw there that kind of caught my eye a little bit. After stalking her for a bit (joking, kind of), I gathered up the courage to say something to her. She acknowledged me, but kept walking. It looked for a second like she kind of wanted to stop and talk, but she didn't. So that was that. I kept living the single man's dream there for a bit, eventually meeting up with a couple people in my ward, which kept me occupied for a bit. Eventually, as I was heading to my car to leave, I saw, through the darkness, like two angels from Heaven, the girl and her friend walking in my general direction. ("Act natural, A-Town. Act natural! Get out the cell phone, pretend to be texting somebody...") To my shock, they walked right up to me. The cute girl (correction - "cuter" girl) said, "So, I notice that sometimes when people are all alone, they take out their cell phones..." (Busted.) "Uh, yeah... sometimes..." I awkwardly responded. To make a long story short (too late), we talked for a bit and both of the girls were very nice. Former Snow College Badgers (I knew I liked them). Things were going pretty well when this poser guy comes over, dripping wet, to interrupt our conversation. Apparently they had met him earlier in the evening. They introduced us and we shook hands. He apologized for being wet, stating that the sweats when he's around pretty girls. I puked in my mouth. He then started doing a bunch of other stereotypical Mormon things like, for instance, teaching the cuter girl how to swing dance. I tried to contain the number of eye rolls. At one point, he got her to sit up on his shoulders as he walked around. Like... how do you compete with that? I asked the other girl if she wanted to get on my shoulders and she respectfully declined. At the end of the night, Poser Boy asked Cute Girl if he could give her his number. I felt obligated to get the other girl's number. She was nice... so I got her number and went home. Over the next few days, the girl never responded to any of the three or four texts I sent her. I found her on Facebook and requested to be her friend. After a few days, I got a notification saying that she had accepted the request. Feeling even more stalker-ish, I figured I'd go check out her profile to find out if she was crazy or not. Then, to my surprise, I found out that we were not friends at all! So... that leads me to believe that she accepted the friend request and immediately unfriended me. I've been having a hard time wrapping my mind around that. Why would you accept and then immediately unfriend? Why not just ignore or reject the request in the first place? I don't know. I don't get it. So then I watched some instructional YouTube videos about swing dancing, and cried myself.


Wallflower.

Darth Vader vs the Giant Twinkie
When it comes to classic A-Town rivalries, Vader vs the Twinkie is right up there at the top. This, of course, stems back to the good old days of "The House That A-Town Built," my college radio show at the University of Utah. I did a little thing called the "K-UTE Clash" that pitted enemies against each other in near-mortal combat. Week after week, the playing field was narrowed down, ultimately leading us to the grand finale: Darth Vader vs the Giant Twinkie. During my final radio show, my brother Austin (who was guest-hosting) helped me sort through the madness in an attempt to determine a winner. There were definite pros and cons for each combatant. Vader is the master Sith lord. His lightsaber skills are unparalleled. A Giant Twinkie is not only delicious, but also comes without an expiration date and can survive a nuclear blast. In the end, it came to our recollection that Anakin Skywalker met his match when he was chopped in half, slowly smoldering on a planet of molten lava. Interestingly, we concluded that the Giant Twinkie, if tossed into molten lava, would suffer a similar, if not identical fate. The K-UTE Clash ended in a draw, enfuriating my four listeners.


"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

A-Town vs the Coach
Speaking of my brother, Austin, we've had an unspoken rivalry on Twitter since the day he signed up. I pioneered the way for him and then he reluctantly signed up a few weeks later. He has developed, over time, quite the following of Utah-based sports fans on Twitter, recently surpassing my number of followers - and it's only a matter of time before he overtakes me in pole position for the number of tweets, too. I've recently come to the conclusion that the difference between Austin and me on Twitter is that his followers actually give a darn what he has to say. As much as I try to mask the pain, I admit that I lose sleep over this every night.


I figured today would be a good time to bring back one of my personal segments, Hashtag Mania. Today's hashtag is #ATownRivalries. Take a look, as posted on Twitter.

@atownmania: Dick Clark vs retirement. Ryan Seacrest vs being quiet. Jenny McCarthy vs my sanity. #ATownRivalries
@crackalacka22: school vs. my work ethic. #ATownRivalries
@atownmania: Proper hat positioning vs @Codeman013. #ATownRivalries
@totally_psyched: Count Dracula vs. Edward Cullen #ATownRivalries
@krispixkay: ATown vs. Edward Cullen #ATownRivalries
@SaysJanae: Rock Band vs. Social life #ATownRivalries ;)
@atownmania: @SaysJanae That hurts.
@crackalacka22: vacationing vs. my wallet. #ATownARivalries
@atownmania: Craig T. Nelson vs Chuck Norris. #ATownRivalries
@crackalacka22: @atownmania This is a really old school throwdown. I'd take Craig though. #ATownRivalries
@atownmania: A-Town and @crackalacka22 vs the world. #ATownRivalries
@krispixkay: @atownmania Your scooter vs. the rain #ATownRivalries
@atownmania: A whole box of Fruit Smiles vs normal dreams. #ATownRivalries
@atownmania: Funyons vs kissing. #ATownRivalries ...not that I'd know from experience...
@atownmania: Hashtag Mania vs popularity. #ATownRivalries


Jordan Wynn vs Physics
I never hope that athletes will get life-threatening injuries. I admit (and yes, I'm a horrible person) that from time to time if a player has to be taken from a game due to injury, I get a little excited (it happened to Kevin Garnett against the Jazz one year when I was in college... the Jazz went on to an upset victory over the Celtics). As I watched my poor University of Utah go down in flames to the lowly Aggies of Utah State, I think that the best thing that could possibly have happened to the Utes was the injury to fragile quarterback Jordan Wynn. Jordan Wynn's football career at the helm of the Utah football team is now over and he will never suit up for us again. I feel bad for the poor kid. Do I think he was a great on-field leader? No. Do I think he was a decent quarterback? No. Mediocre, at best. Never liked him as a player, never would have, regardless of his health, but I do feel bad for the guy as a human being. It can't possibly be fun to get hurt that often. So, for Mr. Wynn, that's terribly unfortunate, but, for the Utes, it's probably the best thing that could have happened. I'm a conflicted man. But now it's Jon Hays Time again - and I believe in Jon Hays. Move those chains, Jonny Boy!


Too bad for him.

One of the greatest collegiate rivalries of all time is BYU vs Utah. My words can not adequately describe the beauty of the rivalry, nor my anguish at the indefinite cancelation of the so-called "Holy War." Because I feel inadequate to do so, I have recruited two Loyal Subscribers and multi-time guest bloggers to assist me. Michael Brunson bleeds blue and will write from a BYU Cougar's point of view, but first, my brother Austin will present the perspective of a crimson-blooded Ute. Take it away, gents!


"Before you all continue reading, please go to YouTube and start playing this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEX1dYyvmig.  Is it playing?  Ok.  While the Utes have traditionally and recently dominated this rivalry (55-34-4 all time in favor of the Utes, and 7 of the last 10, including last year’s 54-10 pulverization in Provo), I do believe that this could very well be the year the tides turn in favor of the 'Team Down South.'  Utah will be starting a new quarterback - either Jon Hays or Travis Wilson, neither of whom have experience in the rivalry.  It’s rumored that star running back John White IV is injured as well as starting free safety Eric Rowe, and, in addition, Brian Blechen is still suspended.  Utah has somehow managed to win the last two games when few have expected them to.  The Utes always seem to have a little something special for the BYU game.  I don’t know how it’s done, but it is, nonetheless.  In 2005 when Utah wasn’t facing a situation entirely different than this, Brett Ratliff, Utah’s backup QB, came in and, like a maestro leading a grand orchestra, led the triumphant Utes to victory in Provo.  Kyle Whittingham and the University of Utah have had some miracles in the past, but I don’t think Utah, in this, the potential final year of the 'Holy War,' will be victorious.  Too many injuries, and not enough talent will prevent the Utes from emerging as the winning side.  I predict a 14-point loss at the hands…er…paws of the Cougars.

If the probable loss in Salt Lake City and this depressing music isn’t enough to make you sad, how about the fact that this underrated-yet-great rivalry is coming to a close.  We all have so many great memories of this game throughout the years.  It is truly a crime to the people of Utah and the citizens of this great nation to take away the Utah vs. BYU game.

Now, before you continue reading let’s revisit our old friend YouTube and change songs.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sev2cBlMwQ.  Ready?  Ok.  Well even though the 'U' will probably lose, pout not Utah fans.  We are, after all, still in the PAC-12 and, yes, somehow we do still have a chance at the Rose Bowl.  Happy Tuesday, enjoy the game, and GO UTES!"
- Austin Christensen

And now for Michael "Triple Facepalm" Brunson. By the way, while you're reading this guest blog, please listen to the following song on YouTube. Thank you.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sev2cBlMwQ

"Here's what to expect from this week.

1. Nastiness.  Let's face it.  There are fans on both sides that have taken the fun out of this week because they feel it is their right to bring hatred and vitriol into the rivalry. I don't like it.  I don't subscribe to it.  I refuse to do it. .... Don't get me wrong, I like to throw out some friendly jabs, but nothing that comes close to crossing the line.  After all, we should respect each other in the morning.

2. Bad jokes.  Rivalry week brings out all the bad jokes.  Some are bad, funny and some are bad, awful.  For example - bad joke, funny (U of U Jokes = double redundancy.  Bad joke, awful - What do you call a U of U Coed skydiving?  An eclipse.)  It's a reality.  They happen.  Expect it.  Roll your eyes and move on.  We are all better than that.  (Did you hear the one about the U of U Coed...)

3. A Great Football game.  Since the turn of the century, this has been a great football game.  There are have been a few exceptions where my beloved Cougs were outmatched, out-coached, and had Jake Heaps at Quarterback. (ugh...), but this has been a great game year in and year out.  Take what you know about both teams, multiply it by 2, turn the intensity up a notch and throw it all out the window because it won't even come close to what's going to happen on the field.  This is a game that is too close to call year in and year out.

Here's my pre-game analysis.

Keys to Utah Victory
1. Offensive Line Play - This is by far the weakest part of the Utah Team. If they can't get consistent play, it could be a long night for John Hays and Travis Wilson.  I'm sure neither one wants to be on the receiving end of a Kyle Van Noy and Uona Kaveinga blitz package.
2. Discipline - They will need to keep their emotions in check and avoid dumb mistakes.  They can't afford to lose players for punching their opponent.  They can't afford penalties at bad times.

Keys to BYU Victory
1. Ball Security - BYU MUST win the turnover battle to win the game.  Even with Hays/Wilson at QB for the Utes, you can't give them a short field or give over momentum by giving up the ball.
2. Running game - BYU must establish a sense of a running game to keep the passing lanes open for Cody Hoffman and Ross Apo.  This means that the O-Line must blow Utah off the ball and find a way to contain Starr Lotulelei.
3. Avoid the big play - Defensively, BYU must limit the explosive / big play capability of Utah.

Other factors to consider:
1. Both teams are going to want that multi-year bragging right over the other as this series goes on hiatus for a couple of years.  Everyone involved will leave everything they have on the field and then some.

2. Offensive Coordinator: who will call the better game and who can make the better adjustments at half-time.  With Both Coach Mendenhall and Whittingham leading their respective defenses, adjustments are a given for each. What can Coach Doman (BYU) and Coach  Johnson (Utah) do.

3. Injuries:  The team that stays healthier during this game, will most likely win it.  This will mean more for Utah than BYU as the Cougars are deeper and more experienced at every position.  Utah is already missing S Brian Blechen for the game, and could be down another defensive player, Eric Rowe, for the game, as well as, if rumors are true, RB John White IV. 

Now that I've said all that.  Here's my prediction.  BYU 24 Utah 17

Rise and Shout!  GO COUGARS!!!"
- Michael Brunson

Thanks, guys! Should be an awesome game. If I had to pick right now, I'd put money on the Cougskis, but you never know! With this game you just never know. I love this rivalry, though. Many BYU fans drive me up the wall with some of the stuff they do and say, but when it all comes down to it, I love the Holy War and am seriously sick that they're taking it away from us. Let's have some fun this week and - GO UTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Don't let it end!!

To wrap things up this week, let's talk about some Fantasy Football. The NFL season kicked off this week, which brings back everyone's least favorite segment (but one that I feel obligated to write every week of the beloved season - the oft-renamed Fantasy Football Star of the Week. Austin and his Head Hunters jumped out to an early lead after Week One, thanks largely to the completely unexpected resurgence of Atlanta Falcons QB Matt Ryan. Ryan completed 23 passes for 299 yards, three TDs, and no interceptions. He also rushed three times for 25 yards and a TD for a total of 41.46 fantasy points. Enjoy the lead while it lasts, Head Hunters - because I've got a bounty... and I'm coming after you!

Matty ICE!

That's about it for this week. I hope you all take a moment or two tonight to remember September 11th and give thanks for those who protect us and keep us safe. Happy Tuesday birthday to Loyal Subscriber Jared Anderson and happy Tuesday unbirthday to the rest of you.


Until next Time,

Move It. Sell It. And Leave the Door Open.

Aaron