Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Signs of the Times, Issue No. 136 - 12/21/10

On Donner! On Blitzen! Now all dash away!
Merry Christmas to all! And Happy Tuesday!


Greetings to one and greetings to all,
This Issue is loved by both big and small:
Issue 136 of my "Signs of the Times" -
And again it is coming completely in rhymes.
I know that you doubt me,
I know you don't care,
I'm a rhyming machine,
So I might as well share.

There are plenty of things about which we could talk.
Hop into my mind and let's all take a walk.
Down Memory Lane we shall all take a stroll.
As is evident now, I'm already on a roll.
My grades and the Utes, football and the snow,
The holiday, Santa, and such. On we go!

As I opened my eyes on this cold, wintry day
I sat up in his bed and knew not what to say.
Rubbed the sleep from my eyes as I stretched with a yawn,
Looking out at the blanket of snow on the lawn.
I strapped on my boots and I readied myself
And I put on a hat, which I took from the shelf.
I headed outside and I braced for the cold.
Where were my brothers? I'm getting too old.
With a shovel full here and a shovel full there,
I was tossing that snow like I just didn't care -
Then what to my wandering eyes should appear
But a guy saying something I did not want to hear:

"I love Boise State! I think they are great!
And Utah is the next team we've got on our slate!"
"You poser," I told him with evil intent.
I glared and I snarled and started to vent.
"They're far overrated, they aren't that good.
Their players and coaches all come from the 'Hood.
Except Kellen Moore, with his mouth full of teef.
I hope that we beat him like rotten roast beef."
We argued and tussled and started to spat
And I ran for the house and came back with a bat.
He ran for his life, screaming, "We'll get you tomorrow!"
I know in his mind was doubt, fear, and sorrow.
The bowl game is Wednesday. I'm expecting the worst,
But if we can beat them, their world will burst.
With Terrance and Shaky and Coach Whit's recruits,
We just might upset them - I'll pray for the Utes.

I came in from the snow and beheld a daydream.
In fact, my blue eyes, they started to gleam.
In my mind, my professor was terribly mad
About the evaluation he'd recently had.
I just didn't like him. Nope, not a bit.
So I let it be known and he threw a big fit.
He told me it hurt him deep down inside,
Then he continued his email and failed me with pride.
I awoke from the dream, which had come as a shock
And it pleased me to realize it had all been a crock.
I was liking this feeling, it felt kind of cool.
Pending my test scores, I'm all done with school!

It hit like a brick, a full knockout punch,
While I sat there and pondered what to make for lunch.
Was Christmas this week? Indeed, it was true!
There were only four days left with so much to do!
We needed to map out our next Christmas song
For Trans-Christensen Orchestra (five minutes long)!
We'd known it for weeks but had yet to begin -
Put it off for so long that it felt like a sin.
What's more, should be hard to fit in another.
A small keyboard should do for Austin, my brother.
We'll march and we'll dance and we'll near break the law
Leaving cousins and uncles in terror and awe.

With the day almost here, am I naughty or nice?
Am I on Santa's list? Is he checking it twice?
What is the thing that everyone wants?
A fluffy, nice shuht? A sleek pair of paunts?
Is it a book? A fine new TV?
A present or two or possibly three?
There's always one thing that everyone likes -
It's not weight sets, nor cookies, and not one of the bikes.
The Shoutout of the Week is what everyone craves
In the land of the free and the home of the braves.
Let's reach back in the bag and get one from way back.
How many names do I have in this sack?
Ah, here is a name, has he had one before?
Not quite sure if he has, but let's give him one more.
My memory clouded, you'd say it is foggy...
But here is a Shoutout for Dallin Akagi!

At this time of year, there's something I do.
It isn't quite old, but isn't brand new.
I give an award to the greatest of all
In the fantasy realm, yea, the fabled Game Ball.
He's stepped up his game. He's incredibly quick.
The Game Ball this week goes back to Mike Vick.
For the A-Town Assassins, he's oil to the joints.
This week he added on 73 points.
The race for third place is heating right up
As they continue to battle for the victor's cup.
But then in the end, to the sides they'll be brushed
For they're all still behind, getting Christensen Crushed.

It has been a good year, perhaps one of the best.
What has made it stand out above some of the rest?
The time, it has come for you all to select
What you liked most of all - things I might not expect.
The Nose Wax, graduation, the Austin return,
EFY, or my bowling? For answers, I yearn.
Head to the blog site. Place a vote or place two
Because in next week's Issue, it's the Year in Review.

That's it for this week, but I'm not out of rhymes.
I could rhyme every Issue of "Signs of the Times."
Time is ticking, or at least so they say.
Don't put it off for too long, buy your presents today!
I'll stop it right here, I won't bore you with more.
Move It. Sell It. And Leave Open the Door.

Aaron