Greetings to one and all from well... I'm currently in Ephraim... but I wrote most of this when I was in Draper... Here's the deal - I moved down to college on Saturday and had to come back yesterday (Monday) for a dentist appointment. Now I'm back in Ephraim. Classes start on Wednesday. Since I wasn't sure when I'd have internet access again, I got most of this done last night (Monday). Confused? Topics to be discussed today: The beginning of the beginning, Olympic craziness, redneck hicks, enough drilling to make your arms sweat, and Management proven right once again - On we go!

Being back in Ephraim is crazy. It's kind of like I never left. Well, no. I did leave. And it feels like I left. But everything is really familiar, still, is what I'm trying to say, I guess... I still know my way around campus and around the apartment complex. I remember the smell of the radio station. And the smell of the turkey plants. Can't forget that. But it's good to be back. Like I said, classes start on Wednesday and I should keep pretty occupied this semester. I'm taking 17 credit hours, mainly focusing on communications. I will also be playing in the Wind Symphony and the Pep Band. I have met two of my five roommates so far and they seem like pretty nice guys. I will be staying with a bunch of 18-year-olds, so I've told them that I will be their college father. Most of the people I have seen in Ephraim look like they just got their learner's permit, so it should be an interesting year. I'm not necessarily saying that I'm not going to date anybody, it's just that the s I'll be dating will be younger than Austin, in some cases.
Is everyone enjoying the Olympics? Quite the feat by Michael Phelps, eh? It is a little unreal to me, at least, to actually be witnessing history. It's amazing now, don't get me wrong, but the thought that people in twenty or thirty years will look back on this and say, "Wow, do you remember back in 2008 when...", is crazy. This guy is a machine!! I wonder how he feels, though. Every single time he steps outside, he's getting mugged. Everytime he turns on his phone, he's getting text messages. Every time he walks past the newsstand, he sees his face. And billions of s think they are engaged to him. That's a little creepy. I liked following his story, but now that it's over, with no offense to Bob Costas or that other guy, I don't really want to know where he's going on vacation or how late he's sleeping in anymore.
The other thing I've really been wondering about is this Chinese gymnastics team. It's not like I'm the only one who is wondering about this. Everybody is talking about it. The s have passports saying that they are at least 16, but many authorities believe this to be false. I'm no expert, but there is this one little who looks WAY younger than 16. I'm sure everyone knows who I'm talking about, judging on her stature alone. Here is my problem - the is missing a tooth. Not a molar, either, but one of her front teeth. When was the last time you saw a junior in high school who was still losing teeth? Some things just don't add up. Like, when did you ever hear of an American named "Nastia?"
Finally, as far as the Olympics go, is the issue of steroids. I remember when I used to basically idolize people like, oh, say, Marion Jones, for example. Actually, I never really liked "Mrs. Jones," but let's just think figuratively for now. But then what happens? Oh yeah, all of her medals get stripped away because she was doping. The real question I have now is this one - Who's it up in these Games? I've got my money on that Jamaican dude, "Lightning," who won the Men's 100 Meter Dash. Did you see that guy?!? He blew EVERYBODY away!! And if you look really closely at the last 20 meters or so, the guy starts dancing the soft shoe! It was unbelievable!

**QUESTION TIME!!**
Q. "Dear Aaron,
What is the strangest thing about Ephraim?
Just Curious,"
- The Junior Mounties
A. (SALUTE!) It's no secret that I spent a lot of my summer watching "Lost." One of the strangest things about "Lost" is the eerie presence of "the Others." Every time the Others get close to the plane crash survivors, a whispering noise can be heard. For a while, the Others even pretended to be very primitive, dirty people. The strangest thing about being in Ephraim is the eerie presence of a group of dirty, primitive individuals commonly referred to as "the Locals." Right before I checked into my apartment complex, I ran over to WalMart really quickly to pick up some milk. Upon stepping inside the supermarket, I had the sudden sensation that I was somewhere in Alabama. My eyes were overcome with overalls, facial hair, and missing teeth. And as I hurried down the aisles of the produce section, I thought I head someone - or something - whispering about pheasant hunting... Those poor, poor kids who are growing up in Fountain Green... I want to do a documentary about them.
Q. "Inquiring minds want to know! Thought you might be interested in this article. Let me know what you think!"
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26203228/?GT1=43001
- le Christensen
A. That is horrible. Really, really horrible. I'm really at a loss for words.
Q. Hey A-Town,
"What are your thoughts about the conflict between Russia and The Republic of Georgia?"
- Anonymous
A. When did Atlanta seceed from the Union?
Q. "Dear Aaron,
This is Aaron. I have a Question for... myself. I just recently paid for my textbooks and here's my inquiry - Why did the Personal Finance book cost more than the others?"
A. Yeah, I don't understand that. Isn't that class supposed to teach me how to SAVE money?!?
This is Aaron. I have a Question for... myself. I just recently paid for my textbooks and here's my inquiry - Why did the Personal Finance book cost more than the others?"
A. Yeah, I don't understand that. Isn't that class supposed to teach me how to SAVE money?!?
Remember, you can submit your own Questions to "Signs of the Times" by emailing Management at tarheelglory19@yahoo.com.
I finished up at the dentist this yesterday afternoon.. I have never really minded going to the dentist's office that much. However, my stance on the issue has recently changed. I just got my first cap put on and it's a horrible, horrible feeling... Without the cap on, most of my actual tooth is gone. I would say I still have about 40% of it, so feeling it with my tongue while the doctor was away was a very sad feeling for me. I like my teeth. They're MY teeth. Now they're being taken away from me... I felt like a Local or something. The natural instict I have when somebody takes something of mine is to punch somebody. I can't punch the dentist! I haven't wanted the Resurrection so bad for a long time now.
The Encarta Word of the Day is "oligopoly" (n.), which is a small number of sellers: an economic condition in which there are so few suppliers of a product that one supplier's actions can have a significant impact on prices and on its competitors. "Signs of the Times." Fun and educational.
The Shoutout of the Week this week goes to Jon Davis. The Big Ticket is back, baby. Check out the theatrical trailer on . or at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixeuIQZ8-J4 for a blurrier version of the video. If you watch the video on YouTube, make sure you click on "Watch in High Quality." 26 views and counting, Jonny Boy. Thanks for the shirt.
I want to give another Shoutout to all those drivers out there who continue driving the speed limit (or slower), even when people in the slow lane are passing them. Right on!
And finally, for all those of you who ever doubted me, my gas theory actually worked! Last week, two gas stations in Texas lowered their prices for a little friendly competition. Their prices went as low as $2.08/gallon and Texans lined up for hours to partake of the cheapness. Ha!!
That's about it for this week. Like I said last week, this is really just the beginning. I'm going to have lots of people to make fun of at Snow. I can feel it. Hope you're Feeling Good!
Until next Time,
Move It! Sell It! And Leave the Door Open!
Aaron
No comments:
Post a Comment